Despairing of the modern workplace

I am really despairing of the modern workplace. I honestly feel that employers are simply stupid because neurodiverse people could be such a benefit to companies and we could achieve so much but so many of us, myself included, are unable to because of stupid nonsensical systems and policies that are put in place by employers. If they would just make a few allowances for us we could do so much!
Performance reviews is a big one for me, I dont work well when Im being watched or under pressure. If I am just left alone to do my job I do it well, if I am watched over I shut down

Job adverts are another one, every job these days wants someone who is "dynamic" and a "go getter" even if its just to be a receptionist! The problem with "dynamic" people is they promise lots and theyre great on Linkedin and Skype but they dont actually do anything. This country was built on quiet, unassuming people who just plodded along and got their work done without any need for performance reviews or social media profiles. Now these people aren't wanted but the showy types who say the right buzzwords are. 

Also, and this is a big one for me, application forms. My brain does not work in a way that makes me able to do application forms. I end up doing nothing but agency work year after year because I physically cant do job application forms. Like why do you need to re write your entire work history when its already on your CV. why cant you send them your CV? It is just pointless and illogical. Most of all, the dreaded person specification essay. I dread them, I have spent years trying to do them and it is such a mental strain, it makes me ill. 

Im just about old enough to remember the old days when youd see a job advert in a shop window or newspaper, pop in, theyd ask you for an interview and if they liked the sound of you theyd say you could start monday. Simple times 

Parents
  • I honestly feel that employers are simply stupid because neurodiverse people could be such a benefit to companies

I get this, but as someone who worked in the corporate environment for many decades (with lots of recruitment to do) I can see both sides of this debate.

Yes we can offer a lot but we typically come with so much baggage that it makes us a bigger overhead than benefit.  This is obviously dependant on the role but most roles require team work, customer interactions and performance reviews which are likely to be hurdles for us.

Also, and this is a big one for me, application forms. My brain does not work in a way that makes me able to do application forms.

Forms in general are a huge part of corporate life as they feel a need to standardise things and make everything in a level playing field - but in your situation you are unable to use their processes which they believe are making appications fair to all. It is a very uncommon issue you have unfortunately but not one that bigger employers are every likely to do anything about.

Job adverts are another one, every job these days wants someone who is "dynamic" and a "go getter" even if its just to be a receptionist!

For a long time employers have been able to be choosy about who they employ so they want someone who is able to do more than the minumum for the role - and all the usual word salad for applications is used to bring in the best applicants - or so they think.

I worked in the civil service for a while and had to hire quite a lot of IT staff and was directed to use standard job descriptions and interview techniques. The salaries were not great but the applicants were typically not able to meet the minimum requirements - this was only found out in the interview stage where I tested their IT abilities (techniques and problem solving ability rather than specific knowledge).

Looking back on these interviews there were a lot of people who were probably on the spectrum who applied and most of them failed on the "performing under pressure" part of the interview where I would role play a difficult customer calling in about an issue  - most would freeze up or babble rather than be able to think logically and calm the customer.

I also used to be good friends with reception staff (they are tremendously useful to know as they know all the gossip!) and give them priority treatment and backup when they needed it - their job is under appreciated as they have to deal with all sorts of problem customers from crooks, beggars, letchers, stuck up managers and no end of difficult staff / visitors.

It isn't a job for the faint of heart.

The job market has certainly changed since I joined it in the 80s but all we can do now is adapt and try to work with it as I don't see it changing.

• I honestly feel that employers are simply stupid because neurodiverse people could be such a benefit to companies

I get this, but as someone who worked in the corporate environment for many decades (with lots of recruitment to do) I can see both sides of this debate.

Yes we can offer a lot but we typically come with so much baggage that it makes us a bigger overhead than benefit.  This is obviously dependant on the role but most roles require team work, customer interactions and performance reviews which are likely to be hurdles for us.

Also, and this is a big one for me, application forms. My brain does not work in a way that makes me able to do application forms.

Forms in general are a huge part of corporate life as they feel a need to standardise things and make everything in a level playing field - but in your situation you are unable to use their processes which they believe are making appications fair to all. It is a very uncommon issue you have unfortunately but not one that bigger employers are every likely to do anything about.

Job adverts are another one, every job these days wants someone who is "dynamic" and a "go getter" even if its just to be a receptionist!

For a long time employers have been able to be choosy about who they employ so they want someone who is able to do more than the minumum for the role - and all the usual word salad for applications is used to bring in the best applicants - or so they think.

I worked in the civil service for a while and had to hire quite a lot of IT staff and was directed to use standard job descriptions and interview techniques. The salaries were not great but the applicants were typically not able to meet the minimum requirements - this was only found out in the interview stage where I tested their IT abilities (techniques and problem solving ability rather than specific knowledge).

Looking back on these interviews there were a lot of people who were probably on the spectrum who applied and most of them failed on the "performing under pressure" part of the interview where I would role play a difficult customer calling in about an issue  - most would freeze up or babble rather than be able to think logically and calm the customer.

I also used to be good friends with reception staff (they are tremendously useful to know as they know all the gossip!) and give them priority treatment and backup when they needed it - their job is under appreciated as they have to deal with all sorts of problem customers from crooks, beggars, letchers, stuck up managers and no end of difficult staff / visitors.

It isn't a job for the faint of heart.

The job market has certainly changed since I joined it in the 80s but all we can do now is adapt and try to work with it as I don't see it changing.

Children
No Data