Hi

Hey folks,

I'm Riley, formally diagnosed early last year aged 37 and only now starting to think about who l really am after all these years of masking. 

I had suspected autism for a few years, but it's only now looking back on my life that I realise just how obvious it all was. I stim, I have shutdowns. I was "gifted" and adults would always tell me how smart and grown up I was. I struggled with depression and social isolation and i thought the answer was to study. I take things quite literally, I studied body language using library books as a child lol.

I've found most online spaces are full of people much younger than me and while its lovely to meet new people just starting out their adult lives, I really want to find friends who are at my life stage and figuring out who they are while trying to decide if they want to disclose professionally, whether to tell friends and family etc.

I'd love to hear your late diagnosis stories and how you're doing now. 

Parents
  • Hi Riley, this is a good place and I'm sure you'll fine some support and like minded people. It takes time to integrate it all into your life and I don't think it ever stops.....but there's a new found calmness in my life now. There are times l definitely know myself and times when i still havent got a clue....and everything in between! Wishing you the best.

• Thank you :) I'm definitely enjoying reading all the posts here, everybody seems nice too, which is really encouraging.

Reply Children
No Data