Revelation

Hi everyone I'm new to the community. 

After suffering for decades with my mental health, last week a peer support worker, who is Autistic herself said that she could see Autistic traits in me. Somehow this didn't come to me as a complete surprise. Although I did feel a little unsettled, and i had lots of heavy thoughts and emotions floating around in my head for a couple of days. This week a senior mental health practitioner came to see me. And I took an a10 test, because of the result, I am now being referred for an assessment. What a revelation this is for me. As I've started to look at solid information, I've found it's like reading a book about myself. I finally understand so much. 

My question is... is it normal to go on a spending spree to buy all the things that I feel will help me ? I know that my anxiety is up.  Although I feel so liberated, my anxiety to leave my home since this awakening has increased dramatically. 

Parents
  • Hello and welcome.

In answer to your question, I can only speak for myself, and I did not buy anything following my realisation of autism.  It turned out that, anything that helps, I already had.....I just hadn't realised that I had those things to sooth my autistic self.

Funny old world.

I hope to bump into you again on the pages soon.

Kind regards

Number

• Blush Thank you for your reply. 

I did have some things. I think the revelation has allowed me to give myself permission to go that extra step, and embrace the things I know that will help me further. Leaving some of the  shame I felt behind. I've given myself such a hard time for years.

• Cool.  I'm pleased.

• That's made me feel better. Thank you Blush

• Fair play to you.  I'm also 50's   I have similarly "curious" aids, but had them long before I was aware of my autism.  I've always, just been, a bit "otherly."

• I've  bought a weighted soft toy to curl up on the sofa with. I'm fairly okay with that, as long as its out of sight when I have visitors. Being a woman in my fifties, I struggle with this, but it's what I need. Rabbit themed items for my bedroom. In the way of a soft toy again, and duvet cover. And lastly a Guinea pig themed backpack. In the scheme of things it's not that bad. Just wish this wasn't such an issue for me. I don't like to be very visible when I'm out. And I  don't want to draw attention to myself. But the bag will comfort me and help me go out. 

• I've  bought a weighted soft toy to curl up on the sofa with. I'm fairly okay with that, as long as its out of sight when I have visitors. Being a woman in my fifties, I struggle with this, but it's what I need. Rabbit themed items for my bedroom. In the way of a soft toy again, and duvet cover. And lastly a Guinea pig themed backpack. In the scheme of things it's not that bad. Just wish this wasn't such an issue for me. I don't like to be very visible when I'm out. And I  don't want to draw attention to myself. But the bag will comfort me and help me go out. 

Children