Hi, newly diagnosed...

Hi, just thought I would say hello..

I'm newly diagnosed, a mother of three children and although I always thought I was different, it didn't really occur to me I might be autistic until my eldest turned 5 and I started to see similarities between us. My eldest is now on the pathway to be assessed in the next 3 years after fighting so hard for her for the best part of 7 years.

I was diagnosed two weeks ago and it's answered a lot of my questions on my difficulties I've faced over the years and still do and the things I've done in the past that I look back and think "that's not normal". But not really sure with how else it's made me feel. How has everyone else found being diagnosed later on in life? I'm 38 by the way. What positives (and negatives) have you faced since your diagnosis? 

Thanks for reading!

Parents
  • I realised that I was autistic at 59 years of age, and was subsequently diagnosed. The impact of this has been overwhelmingly positive. Having a reason for my traits, problems and limitations has been liberating. Finding that there were other people like me is a huge comfort. I felt so much joy when I found out that other people cut out all the - frankly torturing - labels from their clothes.

• I realised that I was autistic at 59 years of age, and was subsequently diagnosed. The impact of this has been overwhelmingly positive. Having a reason for my traits, problems and limitations has been liberating. Finding that there were other people like me is a huge comfort. I felt so much joy when I found out that other people cut out all the - frankly torturing - labels from their clothes.

Children
No Data