Help! My partner is autistic and I'm finding it super hard

Hi All

Just joined, I really need some support, my partner is autistic and we've sort of had this confirmed recently. I'm finding it so hard to do the right thing without a meltdown. We've both suffered over the past few years with mental health and it is wearing

Thanks Charlie

Parents
  • Hi Charlie, 

I'm sorry to hear things are tough for you and your partner right now. 

It sounds extremely basic, but simply engaging them in conversation in calm way, and asking what it is that they might need from you at this time could be the right move. They might struggle to articulate exactly what it is that they need but keep the lines of communication open. They might find writing things down easier than talking verbally (I do) so maybe letting them sit with the question and journal about it would be good. 

Also, if they are able to access some sort of therapy where the therapist is informed in autism, this could be helpful. Gives them the chance to talk to someone else outside of you to let off steam or talk through any mutual issues. 

Good luck!

• Hi Charlie, 

I'm sorry to hear things are tough for you and your partner right now. 

It sounds extremely basic, but simply engaging them in conversation in calm way, and asking what it is that they might need from you at this time could be the right move. They might struggle to articulate exactly what it is that they need but keep the lines of communication open. They might find writing things down easier than talking verbally (I do) so maybe letting them sit with the question and journal about it would be good. 

Also, if they are able to access some sort of therapy where the therapist is informed in autism, this could be helpful. Gives them the chance to talk to someone else outside of you to let off steam or talk through any mutual issues. 

Good luck!

Children
No Data