Help! My partner is autistic and I'm finding it super hard

Hi All

Just joined, I really need some support, my partner is autistic and we've sort of had this confirmed recently. I'm finding it so hard to do the right thing without a meltdown. We've both suffered over the past few years with mental health and it is wearing

Thanks Charlie

Parents
  • It sounds like your partner is going through a lot of stress.  Getting my official diagnosis was helpful, but it also completely shook my entire understanding of myself and the world around me.  It's a huge, life altering event. So it may well be that they have less emotional wherewithal to deal with all the other daily life challenges.  Be patient, give each other space when you need to, and remember that even when you get upset with each other you still love each other.  There's no quick answer here I'm afraid.  It's a storm that you will have to weather together.

• It sounds like your partner is going through a lot of stress.  Getting my official diagnosis was helpful, but it also completely shook my entire understanding of myself and the world around me.  It's a huge, life altering event. So it may well be that they have less emotional wherewithal to deal with all the other daily life challenges.  Be patient, give each other space when you need to, and remember that even when you get upset with each other you still love each other.  There's no quick answer here I'm afraid.  It's a storm that you will have to weather together.

Children
No Data