AuDHD- newly diagnosed. Hi

Hi, 

I’m AuDHD, and currently ( ~2) in burnout/fatigue. I cannot seem to come out of it. So any advice is welcome. 

I’m 38, Female and enjoy crafting. Not sure what else to put really Joy

Parents
  • That is quite a big question but there are a few good books that offer advice on all aspects of this:

Managing ADHD Workbook for Women, Exercises and Strategies to Improve Focus, Motivation, and Confidence - Duan MD, Christy (2022)
    eISBN: 9781638782452

Women With ADHD, A Life-Changing Guide to Embrace the Hidden Struggles of Living with ADHD – Includes Debunked Myths and 15 Effective Tips to Positively Transform Your Life - Sanders, Roberta (2021)
    (no ISBN listed in book)

A Radical Guide for Women with ADHD (Embrace Neurodiversity, Live Boldly, and Break Through Barriers) - Sari Solden_ Michelle Frank (2019)
    (no ISBN listed in book)

The queen of distraction, how women with ADHD can conquer chaos, find focus, and get more done - Sari Solden, Matlen, Terry (2014)
    ISBN 9781626250918

Any approach will need to be considered in relation to the symptoms you experience so rather than offering a quick fix without all the context of your needs then I think the books are the best way forward.

• Thank you for replying. I have the last book and another that I can’t remember. But I’m unable to focus properly at the moment! 

But will give it another go. Had an awful lot of stuff going on over the last two years, including 4 deaths and the death of my soul mate kitty. It just feels like it’s blow after blow and I can’t get my head above water! 

• It just feels like it’s blow after blow and I can’t get my head above water! 

Do you have access to a therapist? I think they would be the best way to get focussed help at the moment.

• I have explored all avenues which is how I needed up here. 
    I know it sounds like I’m knocking every suggestion, but I have contacted everyone and everything and reached out to anyone who will listen. 

I called the Samaritans and they advised me to “just think more positively”. 

• How about speaking to the uni you graduated from to see if they have any options for therapy for aluminatis?

It may be you can even work with some of the students in their final year or postgrads but it could be a way to do this for no cost.

• I did a lot research for my dissertation into therapies and adhd/autism, so although CBT isn’t effective for either condition, it has a small benefit and is my only option.

• I barely have enough money to get a weekly shop now. So I’m not able to do that! 

• How about going private? It costs about £40-50 / hour. Is this viable?

CBT is not often effective for people with autistic traits although I'm not sure if the same is true for AuDHD people. Most therapists with experience of autists know this and offer more targetted techniques.

• Unfortunately not. I can get back on the list for CBT but that’s quite a lengthy wait and although I love CBT, it ultimately isn’t all that beneficial for me. 

Reply Children
  • I have explored all avenues which is how I needed up here. 
    I know it sounds like I’m knocking every suggestion, but I have contacted everyone and everything and reached out to anyone who will listen. 

I called the Samaritans and they advised me to “just think more positively”. 

• How about speaking to the uni you graduated from to see if they have any options for therapy for aluminatis?

It may be you can even work with some of the students in their final year or postgrads but it could be a way to do this for no cost.

• I did a lot research for my dissertation into therapies and adhd/autism, so although CBT isn’t effective for either condition, it has a small benefit and is my only option.

• I barely have enough money to get a weekly shop now. So I’m not able to do that! 

• How about going private? It costs about £40-50 / hour. Is this viable?

CBT is not often effective for people with autistic traits although I'm not sure if the same is true for AuDHD people. Most therapists with experience of autists know this and offer more targetted techniques.