Daughter starting university

Hi - new here!

My daughter has autism and ADHD and is starting university next week.  So far, the support from the university has been good and she is really excited about going, although nervous about the social aspects.   If any of you have advice or tips for her (and me!), that would be great.

Parents
  • Get involved. University was the making of me though it took time. I was severely depressed when I first started due to a traumatic experience that happened only about 3 weeks before me starting so it was a rough ride but I am now a completely different person. I joined the schools Student Staff Committee and am now about to start my third year as its co-chair. I've done public speaking at events (never would've before) and I have a society that I love to take part in. I signed up to a bunch of fun activities run through the SU during my Freshers week and I felt so confident afterwards, even if I didn't make any friends there. 

I also have ADHD and autism and university truly made me the happiest I've ever been.

But it does take time and it does take effort. If she takes advantage of things like office hours, committees etc, she will be known and respected by her peers and lecturers, which makes life a lot easier when you have issues rock up. 

• Get involved. University was the making of me though it took time. I was severely depressed when I first started due to a traumatic experience that happened only about 3 weeks before me starting so it was a rough ride but I am now a completely different person. I joined the schools Student Staff Committee and am now about to start my third year as its co-chair. I've done public speaking at events (never would've before) and I have a society that I love to take part in. I signed up to a bunch of fun activities run through the SU during my Freshers week and I felt so confident afterwards, even if I didn't make any friends there. 

I also have ADHD and autism and university truly made me the happiest I've ever been.

But it does take time and it does take effort. If she takes advantage of things like office hours, committees etc, she will be known and respected by her peers and lecturers, which makes life a lot easier when you have issues rock up. 

Children
No Data