Want to make friends or need help making friends?

Hello everyone,

I am Mark. I hope this message finds you all well. I want to connect with others who might be feeling the same way that I do. I am not sure if I am looking to make friends or create lasting connections. I sometimes wish I could talk to some one when I am in trouble. Someone maybe, could guide me? I would at least like to know what shouldn't do. Or maybe, just talk about things.

Perhaps we could talk about films. I almost never miss a movie in the cinemas. I'm just not really into tv shows and series. Its just I hate to stop in the middle, and I might end up binge-watching the whole thing and I have a really bad perception of time.

I like listening to music. I like Linkin Park, Led Zeppelin, Queen, AC/DC, ABBA, Deep Purple, Madonna, Tame Impala, etc. (please suggest me some artists, if you find similar songs interesting.) 

I take long nature walks, museums, parks. I like animals. I always go to a nearby park and feed squirrels, or ducks. 

I wouldn't say I don't like social interactions. I just don't like it when I don't know what to do. Or when people don't split the bill.( I know you are trying to be nice, but it's going to bug me for days). I like board games. 

I understand we're all in different stages of life and have our own unique personalities and needs, And I am open to any opinion you have and I completely respect that. I am just trying to find a way to fit in somewhere, and I have no idea what I am. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and perhaps getting to know some of you better. Feel free to share your experiences, insights, or even your own journey in seeking friendship. 

Warm regards,

Mark1289

Parents
  • Hey Mark,

So much of what you say is really familiar to me, I can relate to 99% of what you say here!

I'm also hugely into films, music, being around nature.  My wife is amazingly sociable, and maintains a large circle of friends for us, which is just as well as I maybe maintain 4-5 friendships at best, and even then sporadically.

Although I enjoy being around people, its more as an observer and I often worry I make people feel awkward or come across as weird.  I find I use humour a lot to mask my inability to deal with small talk. 

My favourite film is Blade Runner, but I love the Christopher Nolan films (noticed you mention Interstellar) and anything by Wes Anderson.  I'm just recently diagnosed myself but think the attention to detail(s) / complexity is what really grabs my attention so keen to see if there's any other directors out there who I might like.

Sometimes I feel very much the same as you in terms of know knowing "what" I am or where I fit in, and question whether I'm actually autistic.  We have young kids (and a daughter who has recently been diagnosed also) so I'm keen to get to know more people with the condition, learn from their experiences, and understand how to be a positive role model for my daughter (but this first comes with understanding myself I guess).

I also hold out hope of finding one day, a clique of people who I've been missing my whole life who I'll just suddenly click with, and who will share my interests with the same level of passion, but so far, no joy.

Good to meet you!

Chris

• Hey Mark,

So much of what you say is really familiar to me, I can relate to 99% of what you say here!

I'm also hugely into films, music, being around nature.  My wife is amazingly sociable, and maintains a large circle of friends for us, which is just as well as I maybe maintain 4-5 friendships at best, and even then sporadically.

Although I enjoy being around people, its more as an observer and I often worry I make people feel awkward or come across as weird.  I find I use humour a lot to mask my inability to deal with small talk. 

My favourite film is Blade Runner, but I love the Christopher Nolan films (noticed you mention Interstellar) and anything by Wes Anderson.  I'm just recently diagnosed myself but think the attention to detail(s) / complexity is what really grabs my attention so keen to see if there's any other directors out there who I might like.

Sometimes I feel very much the same as you in terms of know knowing "what" I am or where I fit in, and question whether I'm actually autistic.  We have young kids (and a daughter who has recently been diagnosed also) so I'm keen to get to know more people with the condition, learn from their experiences, and understand how to be a positive role model for my daughter (but this first comes with understanding myself I guess).

I also hold out hope of finding one day, a clique of people who I've been missing my whole life who I'll just suddenly click with, and who will share my interests with the same level of passion, but so far, no joy.

Good to meet you!

Chris

Children
  • Thanks for sharing that Chris,

I too find myself observing people rather than interacting with them, in most social situations. But I haven't really figured out myself in the first place. I can see people thinking of me as weird and there is definitely some sort of missing bridge or connection. I am not part of anything. Like I lack an identity.

I think you are a great parent. Mine weren't so understanding. They still are not. 

Good to meet you too!