Post diagnostic counselling

A brief review of the posts here suggests there is a theme about the dearth of specific mainstream/NHS support for autistic adults in getting adjusted and adjustment to things after diagnosis later in life.

Age 58 I was diagnosed as autistic last year.

So, guess what I came to this site to look for?  :-)

Even if this were available it makes sense to me that the best counselors will be from within this community - as they have lived experience of it.

It would be lovely to have a simple one step at a time process to things after diagnosis.

Seems though that it's not that simple.  There's a whole lot of stuff that seems to flood out when the dam bursts.

Perhaps re-interpreting and reconsidering all the "masking" that one might have been using is part of the process of self discovery in the early phase?

What sort of priorities have other members found greatest in the early post diagnosis phase please?

Can you share how you found to address them?

Parents
  • Hello Phased, I am Number.

Compared to the confusion, upset and self loathing that I endured before I accepted my autistic reality (in my 50's) everything since then has been comparatively easy.  Being in this place helped me enormously in the early stages - people here were able to reinforce and normalise feelings that I thought were unique to me!  They are not.  I have subsequently found very sound and sustaining friendships in this place......but that takes time.  Many here are slow to open up - for very good reason!

My advice to you would be this.....Be calm, hang out here and see who (and what) resonates with your experiences and feelings.  I'm really not sure that attempting some type of formalised protocol for 'moving on' with your diagnosis is a wise aspiration?  Moreover, I don't think formalised protocols are ever suggested or reported in this place.......we're all too special and unique little snowflakes! [Puke!]

I think the happiest reporting people are those who are simply carrying on their lives...albeit with some experimental and bespoke tweaks to hopefully make their lives just a little bit better.  It appears that those who eagerly seek some form of Pentecostal fire and brimstone rapidly become disillusioned.

Anyhow - the above is merely my opinion, but I do extend you a warm welcome to this place.

Kind regards, Number.

• Thanks Number :-)  Good advice re: not seeking protocol.

A respected person once told me that the quote about a journey of a thousand miles beginning with the first step is a mistranslation.  It should be about beginning under one's feet.

So getting a hang on what is happening at the moment seems a good idea.  After diagnosis there was for me a strong sense of not being able to trust reality and my interpretation of it.  So re-examining the present is necessary however a bit tiring in a complex environment - at least to start with perhaps.

Nice tho' it would be to simply carry on with life, the stimulus for diagnosis for me was that I was giving up the will to carry on with it.  To simplify would be nice however.

Thanks for your warm welcome (without the Pentacostal fire and Brimstone) :-)

All the best

• Thanks Number :-)  Good advice re: not seeking protocol.

A respected person once told me that the quote about a journey of a thousand miles beginning with the first step is a mistranslation.  It should be about beginning under one's feet.

So getting a hang on what is happening at the moment seems a good idea.  After diagnosis there was for me a strong sense of not being able to trust reality and my interpretation of it.  So re-examining the present is necessary however a bit tiring in a complex environment - at least to start with perhaps.

Nice tho' it would be to simply carry on with life, the stimulus for diagnosis for me was that I was giving up the will to carry on with it.  To simplify would be nice however.

Thanks for your warm welcome (without the Pentacostal fire and Brimstone) :-)

All the best

Children
No Data