Post diagnostic counselling

A brief review of the posts here suggests there is a theme about the dearth of specific mainstream/NHS support for autistic adults in getting adjusted and adjustment to things after diagnosis later in life.

Age 58 I was diagnosed as autistic last year.

So, guess what I came to this site to look for?  :-)

Even if this were available it makes sense to me that the best counselors will be from within this community - as they have lived experience of it.

It would be lovely to have a simple one step at a time process to things after diagnosis.

Seems though that it's not that simple.  There's a whole lot of stuff that seems to flood out when the dam bursts.

Perhaps re-interpreting and reconsidering all the "masking" that one might have been using is part of the process of self discovery in the early phase?

What sort of priorities have other members found greatest in the early post diagnosis phase please?

Can you share how you found to address them?

Parents
  • The thing I've found most helpful is having a neurodivergent therapist- mine is AuDHD and she has a much better idea of how my mind works than anyone I've seen before. She's helping me process all my feelings about diagnosis and living an authentic autistic life, from a perspective that doesn't try to enforce 'normality' on me.

Due to the lack of personalised support for adults most of what I've done is read and learn on my own: I found that the best resources have been books and articles writtten by other autistic people. One that I recommend at any given opportunity is Unmasking Autism by Devon Price, which is 90% accessible reading and 10% self-help/'understanding your autistic self' activities. It's been incredibly helpful for me by increasing my confidence in my own judgement and acknowledging that my experiences are shared by others. Untypical by Pete Wharmby was also very good for the same reasons.

In terms of the day to day stuff I actually need help with, I've started using the following resources:

• How to Keep House While Drowning by KC Davis- a short and easy to read guide to household chores for people who are chronically ill and/or neurodivergent more generally (I'm both!)
    • Looking After Your Autistic Self by Niamh Garvey- a book intended to guide the reader in working out things like their sensory triggers and how to manage them
    • Avoiding Anxiety in Autistic Adults by Luke Beardon- discusses a series of things in adult life that are extra stressful for autistic people (such as employment and medical care), why they are hard for us, and what accommodations might be useful to us in those situations

Those are all 'works in progress' and I'll need to keep going back to them for some time yet before I get my life together! But even just knowing they're there to refer to is making a difference because I know I don't have to keep struggling to be 'normal' on my own.

• thanks battybats - I have promptly ordered the Devon Price book on your recommendation and the excellent reviews that it has received.  Your other recommendations much appreciated, maybe for later - will do one at a time for now. All the best  :-)

• thanks battybats - I have promptly ordered the Devon Price book on your recommendation and the excellent reviews that it has received.  Your other recommendations much appreciated, maybe for later - will do one at a time for now. All the best  :-)

Children
  • Hehe - yep  - time to gain insight seems to be a regular mention in the responses from our fellows so far.  It's good to learn how people such as yourself have found a way to understand things "better".  Thanks again :-)

• Oh definitely do one at a time- this is a selection of books I've read over a period of a few months! I do go back to them for specific bits amd bobs now I've read them all properly but I think my head might have exploded if I'd tried to do it all at the same time Joy