Discovering myself (in my 50's)

My journey to discovery began last week, when a friend suggested I may be on the spectrum and after researching I am convinced.

Aside from some other obvious traits I often feel what others feel and often it overwhelms me. Although I am getting better over the years, it can take days to recover. I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions, it’s like I have no filter and I am looking at people wondering what super-powers they have that they can just tune it all out..!?

I honestly feel that now I have had my eyes opened – that I am happy. I was buzzing today knowing that I may not be the only person and that there are others out there that “get me” or maybe experience some of the challenges I do. Also, I feel very lucky that I can function out there.

BIG WAVE to all

• I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions

If it is impacting you at work then I strongly recommend getting an official diagnosis and present this to the HR team at work so they can make "reasonable accommodations" for your autism to allow you to work in a less stressful environment.

This is enshrined in law now that autism is classed as a disability, so you can get them to adapt the lighting, allow you to wear headphones more or introduce sound deadening materials etc.

For the empath / emoution overloads I would recommend getting a therapist with experience of working with empaths like you who can recommend ways to manage this.

Welcome to the club.

• Yes, a life's journey of discoveryThumbsup I was diagnosed autism level 1 in November 2021 and am 50 next monthSlight smile

• Hey Ottilie,

Thanks! I tip my hat to you, that must have been a real challenge I mean at least when I helped it was only a few hours a month. 

I survive by bubbling. At least that's what I call it. I picture myself surrounded by a bubble that glistens with a reflective exterior. I suspect it's a cross between meditation and telling my brain in its language what I want?! But I forget or get ambushed at times.Grin

Water, I used to be able to sit & watch the sea for hours as a kid. Even just glimpsing it soothes my soul. Breathing in the sea air... someone should bottle that! Slight smile

Happy to self identify. Thanks for reaching out. 

• Hi Noodles, I'm glad you found your way here with people that will get you. 

I'm an empath too, recently diagnosed autistic and in my 50s, also used to work as a counsellor for a charity. Have you looked in to setting boundaries as an empath? It is exhausting feeling so much and something I am working on. I find water soothing and if I have felt overwhelmed by how someone else is feeling crying in the bath is the quickest way for me to process it. Finding water soothing is common for empaths,I discovered recently. 

Are you going to go for diagnosis or happy to self identify for now?