Discovering myself (in my 50's)

My journey to discovery began last week, when a friend suggested I may be on the spectrum and after researching I am convinced.

Aside from some other obvious traits I often feel what others feel and often it overwhelms me. Although I am getting better over the years, it can take days to recover. I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions, it’s like I have no filter and I am looking at people wondering what super-powers they have that they can just tune it all out..!?

I honestly feel that now I have had my eyes opened – that I am happy. I was buzzing today knowing that I may not be the only person and that there are others out there that “get me” or maybe experience some of the challenges I do. Also, I feel very lucky that I can function out there.

BIG WAVE to all

Parents
  • I too feel others pain and sadness. Or what I perceive it to be. I think if I feel such emotional pain then my brother does too. But now I realise that is likely not the case, which is a relief. I have emotional dysregulation  (spelling). But I didn’t know this until very recently. I have been washing up today in a cafe. I enjoyed it, I don’t have to talk to too many people and like to just do my job. Big wave back 

• I too feel others pain and sadness. Or what I perceive it to be. I think if I feel such emotional pain then my brother does too. But now I realise that is likely not the case, which is a relief. I have emotional dysregulation  (spelling). But I didn’t know this until very recently. I have been washing up today in a cafe. I enjoyed it, I don’t have to talk to too many people and like to just do my job. Big wave back 

Children