Discovering myself (in my 50's)

My journey to discovery began last week, when a friend suggested I may be on the spectrum and after researching I am convinced.

Aside from some other obvious traits I often feel what others feel and often it overwhelms me. Although I am getting better over the years, it can take days to recover. I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions, it’s like I have no filter and I am looking at people wondering what super-powers they have that they can just tune it all out..!?

I honestly feel that now I have had my eyes opened – that I am happy. I was buzzing today knowing that I may not be the only person and that there are others out there that “get me” or maybe experience some of the challenges I do. Also, I feel very lucky that I can function out there.

BIG WAVE to all

Parents
  • Hi Noodles - I read your message with a great big smile on my face. 

It sounds so promising that you've found out this whole new side to you. 

I am 35 but I don't have a diagnosis yet (assessment this week) and I feel like it has been a long time coming. My mum has always said she thinks I'm autistic - we think my dad is too.

I found working in an office awfully difficult. The pandemic in a way was a blessing because it showed us we don't need to be in offices any more, so I moved to the south coast and I work from home now. It's lovely. 

Looking forward to hearing more from you Noodles! 

• Thanks Autumn_Tress (cool name).

Let me know how it goes. I am curious to know if it's just a bunch of questions. 

I literally only found out a few days ago and am still processing (or re-processing) my life.

Being near a coast sounds lovely.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures too.

• Thanks Autumn_Tress (cool name).

Let me know how it goes. I am curious to know if it's just a bunch of questions. 

I literally only found out a few days ago and am still processing (or re-processing) my life.

Being near a coast sounds lovely.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures too.

Children
No Data