Recently diagnosed, completely lacking social interactions

Hi,

I am Mark (preferred name not real) and I am 23. I was diagnosed with ASD couple of months ago. Don't know how to react to it.

No matter how badly I want, I can't keep friends or be in a relationship. I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

I like watching films, mostly horror and action. I like listening to music, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Madonna, ABBA, etc.

I was told this is a great place to connect with people.

Parents
  • No matter how badly I want, I can't keep friends or be in a relationship. I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

This is a very common issue for autistic people and there are a few good books on the subject that are worth reading:

An Aspie's Guide to Making and Keeping Friends - Attwood, Tony, Evans, Craig R., Lesko, Anita (2015)
    eISBN 9781784501259

Friendships The Aspie Way - Wendy Lawson (2006)
    ISBN-10: 1 84310 427 X

Social Skills for Teenagers and Adults with Asperger Syndrome - A Practical Guide to Day-to-day Life - Nancy J., Ph.D. Patrick (2008)
    ISBN 9781843108764

As for knowing how to react - don't react but instead learn, understand and plan before acting.

Depending on your level of interest in doing this you can start with the common:

Understanding Autism For Dummies - Stephen Shore, Linda G. Rastelli, Temple Grandin (2006)

ISBN 0764525476

or the more academic:

Neurodiversity - The Birth of An Idea - Judy Singer (2016)

ISBN 064815470X

You are no different than before the diagnosis so nothing has actually changed. You have knowledge of it now which gives you power over it - build on that knowledge and you will be able to work on all the areas you want to when you are ready.

Welcome to the club.

• I tried to change, but somehow I ended up being more desperate. I can't be around anybody. I couldn't help myself from crying all the time. When I am around other people it just remind me of how lonely I am. It was never an issue, but since the last couple of years I just can't keep clear of these thoughts.

Knowing makes me feel like what's wrong with me will never change. Nothing changes I am just more pathetic.

• I tried to change, but somehow I ended up being more desperate. I can't be around anybody. I couldn't help myself from crying all the time. When I am around other people it just remind me of how lonely I am. It was never an issue, but since the last couple of years I just can't keep clear of these thoughts.

Knowing makes me feel like what's wrong with me will never change. Nothing changes I am just more pathetic.

Children
No Data