Recently diagnosed, completely lacking social interactions

Hi,

I am Mark (preferred name not real) and I am 23. I was diagnosed with ASD couple of months ago. Don't know how to react to it.

No matter how badly I want, I can't keep friends or be in a relationship. I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

I like watching films, mostly horror and action. I like listening to music, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Madonna, ABBA, etc.

I was told this is a great place to connect with people.

Parents
  • Regarding friendships, most of us have problems to one degree or another. What I would suggest is, thinking about what you want from friendship. Do you want someone who shares your interests? Or just someone to go and do activities with? Someone to just call or text? Friendship looks different to all of us, and knowing what you want helps. Also, not making do with someone because you think you can’t do any better.

• Regarding friendships, most of us have problems to one degree or another. What I would suggest is, thinking about what you want from friendship. Do you want someone who shares your interests? Or just someone to go and do activities with? Someone to just call or text? Friendship looks different to all of us, and knowing what you want helps. Also, not making do with someone because you think you can’t do any better.

Children
  • I just wish I could talk to someone, when I feel like how I feel all the time. Someone to talk to when I am scared. Someone otherthan the healthcare workers of the students support. I just want to feel like I belong somewhere.

It hurts to be around people of my age