Newly diagnosed, feeling like I have arrived on a new alien planet ...

Hi there, I am new here. I just received my diagnosis last week. 

I am feeling like I have arrived on a new alien planet ... Alien Honestly, I am struggling. 

I feel like I am feeling every possible emotion in response to my diagnosis: relief, understanding (but at the same time confusion), frustration (how did no one spot this before?), isolation.... You name it! It's a rollercoaster. 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me (and other who are newly diagnosed) - any tips, ideas for connecting to others on the spectrum, book recommendations, online support groups.... 

Thank you Heart

Parents
  • Hi, I'm also new to this online community.

I was diagnosed as an adult.

I actually have a dual diagnosis now. Firstly I was diagnosed ADHD in 2021 and more recently in April this year I was also diagnosed Autistic. I am a Mum to 3 Daughters who are all certainly Neurodivergent too, ranging from diagnosed to still awaiting formal diagnosis.

Just wanted to let you know that all feelings are valid, give yourself grace and allow yourself to process your diagnosis in whatever way feels best for you. 

I have quite a few books that I'm happy to recommend, if you'd like? I wish I could do the same in regards to support/resources available. Unfortunately my experience so far is there isn't much out there for newly diagnosed Autistic Adults, to be honest there isn't much in terms of support at all for Autistic Individuals whether children or adults really. 

Just remember the diagnosis is only a piece of paper, you are still the same you that you've always been.

Take care Slight smile

• Hi, I'm also new to this online community.

I was diagnosed as an adult.

I actually have a dual diagnosis now. Firstly I was diagnosed ADHD in 2021 and more recently in April this year I was also diagnosed Autistic. I am a Mum to 3 Daughters who are all certainly Neurodivergent too, ranging from diagnosed to still awaiting formal diagnosis.

Just wanted to let you know that all feelings are valid, give yourself grace and allow yourself to process your diagnosis in whatever way feels best for you. 

I have quite a few books that I'm happy to recommend, if you'd like? I wish I could do the same in regards to support/resources available. Unfortunately my experience so far is there isn't much out there for newly diagnosed Autistic Adults, to be honest there isn't much in terms of support at all for Autistic Individuals whether children or adults really. 

Just remember the diagnosis is only a piece of paper, you are still the same you that you've always been.

Take care Slight smile

Children
No Data