Newly diagnosed, feeling like I have arrived on a new alien planet ...

Hi there, I am new here. I just received my diagnosis last week. 

I am feeling like I have arrived on a new alien planet ... Alien Honestly, I am struggling. 

I feel like I am feeling every possible emotion in response to my diagnosis: relief, understanding (but at the same time confusion), frustration (how did no one spot this before?), isolation.... You name it! It's a rollercoaster. 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me (and other who are newly diagnosed) - any tips, ideas for connecting to others on the spectrum, book recommendations, online support groups.... 

Thank you Heart

Parents
  • The struggling feeling is very normal. It can take a long time to adjust. I am over two years from diagnosis and I feel I am only now really fully adjusting. It definitely is a rollercoaster, but it does get better. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to process things. You'll probably find yourself viewing your personal history in a completely different light, which can be unnerving, but also healing.

You could try to find some other autistic people you can connect with, here or elsewhere. There are good books out there too e.g. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood, Autism in Adults by Luke Beardon, Nerdy, Shy and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim and An Adult with Autism Diagnosis by Gillan Drew.

• The struggling feeling is very normal. It can take a long time to adjust. I am over two years from diagnosis and I feel I am only now really fully adjusting. It definitely is a rollercoaster, but it does get better. Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to process things. You'll probably find yourself viewing your personal history in a completely different light, which can be unnerving, but also healing.

You could try to find some other autistic people you can connect with, here or elsewhere. There are good books out there too e.g. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood, Autism in Adults by Luke Beardon, Nerdy, Shy and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim and An Adult with Autism Diagnosis by Gillan Drew.

Children