New Here

Hi

I am a recently diagnosed 66 year old man who is struggling with coming to terms with the revelation that my whole life has been controlled by a condition I had never learned anything about.

Now that I am working to integrate this new concept I am finding a lot of resistance from my wife and family who are unsettled by how relationships might change.

I hope that this community might provide some answers to so many questions, fears and trepidation.

Ron

Parents
  • H Ron

my mum at 57 diagnosed with autism recently and understand what you mean by family resistance it’s very difficult. A couple of comments have been made like ‘why do we have to have a label of how we behave’ and me personally have had to face that I have traits just like my mum and find life very tough myself and always questioning why others sail through their life and I find I’m going through every obstacle possible. 

i have tried to reach out to my partner and mentioned that I relate to my mum and just get told that it is my personality and that we are all different and do not be silly you do not have it just because your mum has it. 

I am worried if I do take this further to be assessed I will be judged and those around me will look at me different but need to do what I need to do to be able to face it and deal with it. 

hope you are able to find a way like I hope to.

Aimee

• H Ron

my mum at 57 diagnosed with autism recently and understand what you mean by family resistance it’s very difficult. A couple of comments have been made like ‘why do we have to have a label of how we behave’ and me personally have had to face that I have traits just like my mum and find life very tough myself and always questioning why others sail through their life and I find I’m going through every obstacle possible. 

i have tried to reach out to my partner and mentioned that I relate to my mum and just get told that it is my personality and that we are all different and do not be silly you do not have it just because your mum has it. 

I am worried if I do take this further to be assessed I will be judged and those around me will look at me different but need to do what I need to do to be able to face it and deal with it. 

hope you are able to find a way like I hope to.

Aimee

Children

• I am worried if I do take this further to be assessed I will be judged and those around me will look at me different

You don't have to tell them you are being assessed or share the diagnosis. It should be for your benefit as they clearly don't care enough to want to find out more.

You could try to educate them, but I've seen little success with this when others tried it.

I would say do it yourself and use it to educate yourself and make life easier. No need to make others understand or care as it seems this is not happening for you anyway.