New Here

Hi

I am a recently diagnosed 66 year old man who is struggling with coming to terms with the revelation that my whole life has been controlled by a condition I had never learned anything about.

Now that I am working to integrate this new concept I am finding a lot of resistance from my wife and family who are unsettled by how relationships might change.

I hope that this community might provide some answers to so many questions, fears and trepidation.

Ron

Parents
  • Hello Ron, welcome to the club. I was 54 when I was diagnosed so know a bit about what you are going through.

You may be interested to read the book:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome - Philip Wylie, Luke Beardon, Sara Heath (2014)
    ISBN 9781849054331

It seems written for people in our situation and explains a lot about what you are likely to want to ask.

Note that the term Aspergers is a subset of the autism spectrum and is primarily for people with relatively low needs compared to those who are non-verbal - it sounds like the case for you. It is not used so much anymore as it was merged with autism for diagnostic purposes by the medical community.

If you don't want to wade through a book then fire away with questions and we will do our best to help. Please be as specific as you can be about the issues and that will help us give a targetted answer.

There are loads of friendly, helpful and knowledable people on here who will make you feel at home I'm sure.

• Hello Ron, welcome to the club. I was 54 when I was diagnosed so know a bit about what you are going through.

You may be interested to read the book:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome - Philip Wylie, Luke Beardon, Sara Heath (2014)
    ISBN 9781849054331

It seems written for people in our situation and explains a lot about what you are likely to want to ask.

Note that the term Aspergers is a subset of the autism spectrum and is primarily for people with relatively low needs compared to those who are non-verbal - it sounds like the case for you. It is not used so much anymore as it was merged with autism for diagnostic purposes by the medical community.

If you don't want to wade through a book then fire away with questions and we will do our best to help. Please be as specific as you can be about the issues and that will help us give a targetted answer.

There are loads of friendly, helpful and knowledable people on here who will make you feel at home I'm sure.

Children
No Data