Feeling overwhelmed and abandoned by recent diagnosis

Hi Everyone,

I am a 43 year old man who has just been diagnosed with high functioning Autism.

Following my diagnosis I have struggled to process the news. Don't get me wrong I was sure I had it but now it's official I seem to have more questions and anger than I did before. In the two weeks since diagnosis it has been a rollercoaster of emotions. I have laughed more than I have in ages but I have also had to call 999 because I felt suicidal (I'm fine now).

There is either very little support, or I cannot find it, for me between diagnosis and being taken on by my local ASD service.

I feel that I am still going alone through this and no-one is helping me through this incredibly hard time of transition and acceptance. My wife has described it as me going through the 5 stages of grief:

- denial
- anger
- bargaining
- depression
- acceptance

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or give me a good starting point. I'm not sure what I want, I guess I want someone to help me avoid taking the long route to understanding, accepting and working with my condition. I don't know the best people to turn to for advice and support.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • I, too, felt on my own after my assessment (which was at the Lorna Wing Centre). By the end of the assessment, I was too exhausted to ask any questions and would need time for processing before I could think of any anyway. So I, strongly, feel that an assessment should include a follow up session to look at the implications and impact of the diagnosis  - where to go from there.

Like Iain, I presently found an online counsellor who has helped me to explore things.

• I, too, felt on my own after my assessment (which was at the Lorna Wing Centre). By the end of the assessment, I was too exhausted to ask any questions and would need time for processing before I could think of any anyway. So I, strongly, feel that an assessment should include a follow up session to look at the implications and impact of the diagnosis  - where to go from there.

Like Iain, I presently found an online counsellor who has helped me to explore things.

Children
No Data