Newly diagnosed aged 55 (female)

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed with ASD and I’m feeling completely overwhelmed. Is this usual?
It’s been nine years since I first presented for assessment -  at that time I was thought to have complex trauma and ended up taking part in two years of group psychotherapy. I started the assessment process again 18 months ago as I was struggling with so much.. Following the assessment I was initially told I only partially met the criteria however, there were issues in the diagnostic process and a second opinion from within my mental health team suggested that I might have ASD after all. I have finally been diagnosed and I don’t know what to feel, I’m even wondering whether it could be wrong given my earlier experiences. I’ve also had to take some time off work because I feel so exhausted but feel very guilty about it. Any tips on getting through these first few weeks? Thank you Blush 

Parents
  • Hi Jo,

Even when the penny definitely slips into the slot (ie when you finally realise/accept beyond all reasonable doubt that ASD does underpin your reality).... it is still a discombobulating mess in your head for a good long while whilst you process your past history and feelings through the new lens.

Don't hurry yourself, don't worry about your brain processor speed at the moment.  Relax and be  calm (if you can.)  It does get easier and clearer for most, based on my understanding of what members of our tribe have written here since Ice been around.

Welcome.  I hope you like it here.

Number.

• Hi Jo,

Even when the penny definitely slips into the slot (ie when you finally realise/accept beyond all reasonable doubt that ASD does underpin your reality).... it is still a discombobulating mess in your head for a good long while whilst you process your past history and feelings through the new lens.

Don't hurry yourself, don't worry about your brain processor speed at the moment.  Relax and be  calm (if you can.)  It does get easier and clearer for most, based on my understanding of what members of our tribe have written here since Ice been around.

Welcome.  I hope you like it here.

Number.

Children
No Data