Newly diagnosed aged 55 (female)

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed with ASD and I’m feeling completely overwhelmed. Is this usual?
It’s been nine years since I first presented for assessment -  at that time I was thought to have complex trauma and ended up taking part in two years of group psychotherapy. I started the assessment process again 18 months ago as I was struggling with so much.. Following the assessment I was initially told I only partially met the criteria however, there were issues in the diagnostic process and a second opinion from within my mental health team suggested that I might have ASD after all. I have finally been diagnosed and I don’t know what to feel, I’m even wondering whether it could be wrong given my earlier experiences. I’ve also had to take some time off work because I feel so exhausted but feel very guilty about it. Any tips on getting through these first few weeks? Thank you Blush 

Parents
  • It's definitely a huge deal. Autism has had a massive impact on 55 years of your life so it's natural to feel a bit blown away that your perception of yourself and your life has changed. 

If you feel like time off work is what you need to recover a bit, go for it. Your brain needs your understanding and care more right now than ever. 

• It's definitely a huge deal. Autism has had a massive impact on 55 years of your life so it's natural to feel a bit blown away that your perception of yourself and your life has changed. 

If you feel like time off work is what you need to recover a bit, go for it. Your brain needs your understanding and care more right now than ever. 

Children
No Data