Mental Health

Feeling totally let down by the NHS…I had a late diagnosis of Autism and am suffering with crippling depression and anxiety (after years of misdiagnosis and medication that numbed everything) I take antidepressants and struggle simply to stay alive each day. When calling in crisis my family has been told “This is not depression it is autism” “There is nothing we can do” , and when having a meltdown “Take her to A&E”(I am light and noise sensitive & my husband tried to explain that was a bad idea!)It appears there is no help for suicidal autistic adults!! My husband’s health and job are suffering as a consequence of my mental health. He feels totally let down and unsupported as well! Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is NO support out there for autistic adults with mental health issues?

Parents
  • Trouble is MH understand nothing and don't know what to do. I just wish they were honest enough to say that.

This goes wrong in both directions - they are either over misdiagnosing autistic people with conditions they don't have or else denying they have any at all because it's "just the autism".

The sad truth is their training isn't up to scratch.

If you can afford it you might have better luck with a properly autism informed private therapist. Meanwhile, it sounds like your husband could use some "carer's support". He is entitled to an assessment for that.

They've let me down big time in the past. I won't touch MH with a barge pole now.

• Trouble is MH understand nothing and don't know what to do. I just wish they were honest enough to say that.

This goes wrong in both directions - they are either over misdiagnosing autistic people with conditions they don't have or else denying they have any at all because it's "just the autism".

The sad truth is their training isn't up to scratch.

If you can afford it you might have better luck with a properly autism informed private therapist. Meanwhile, it sounds like your husband could use some "carer's support". He is entitled to an assessment for that.

They've let me down big time in the past. I won't touch MH with a barge pole now.

Children
No Data