Mental Health

Feeling totally let down by the NHS…I had a late diagnosis of Autism and am suffering with crippling depression and anxiety (after years of misdiagnosis and medication that numbed everything) I take antidepressants and struggle simply to stay alive each day. When calling in crisis my family has been told “This is not depression it is autism” “There is nothing we can do” , and when having a meltdown “Take her to A&E”(I am light and noise sensitive & my husband tried to explain that was a bad idea!)It appears there is no help for suicidal autistic adults!! My husband’s health and job are suffering as a consequence of my mental health. He feels totally let down and unsupported as well! Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is NO support out there for autistic adults with mental health issues?

Parents
  • It took me the best part of a decade to get out of "the pit" of depression so yes I know how you feel. And sadly Autistic specific support is woefully lacking but that is why we exist here as a forum to at least hear eachother and try to provide support in our own ways.

More immediately call Samaritans if you have suicidal ideation, it's the only thing they are good for but they at least do that really well.

If you are in the slow spiral of daily depression and you have something like iTalk (or similar service for your area) then call them or get your GP to reffer you.
    Autism changes the lens through which we experience depression, and for more effective therapy an Autism sensitive/trained therapist is better but it should not be a barrier to at least having access to the same services and therapists/councilors as NT people dealing with depression if you need help sooner rather than later.

Also you can always come in here and type/talk to us on the forum in the mean time, and forever if you want, we are a community for a reason.

• It took me the best part of a decade to get out of "the pit" of depression so yes I know how you feel. And sadly Autistic specific support is woefully lacking but that is why we exist here as a forum to at least hear eachother and try to provide support in our own ways.

More immediately call Samaritans if you have suicidal ideation, it's the only thing they are good for but they at least do that really well.

If you are in the slow spiral of daily depression and you have something like iTalk (or similar service for your area) then call them or get your GP to reffer you.
    Autism changes the lens through which we experience depression, and for more effective therapy an Autism sensitive/trained therapist is better but it should not be a barrier to at least having access to the same services and therapists/councilors as NT people dealing with depression if you need help sooner rather than later.

Also you can always come in here and type/talk to us on the forum in the mean time, and forever if you want, we are a community for a reason.

Children
No Data