Weighing up whether to get assessed or not.

Hello, 

I've joined in recent days and haven't yet formally introduced myself so thought I'd do so. I'm a 30-something guy from just outside of London and, after for a few months suspected I might have ADHD, it's recently come to my awareness that I might well have autism with possibly ADHD too. There are lots of mixed emotions and thoughts rolling around my head, as I understand is quite common for those who've recently had a sort of revelation / are in the "limbo" period of getting formally assessed. I live with my parents and I've gradually had the courage to share my suspicions with them, too, and they've been as supportive as they can be and supporting my choice to get privately assessed if I want to. 

After some hesitation, I decided last week to pay the deposit on getting assessed for an upcoming date in about a month.

I’ve found myself wondering things like “How will I cope with the diagnosis/label of autism?”; “Who am I supposed to tell?”; “How would friends/a partner react”?

It all feels a bit overwhelming at this moment in time. For those of you who have received a diagnosis:

- Were you happy to have pursued & received your autism diagnosis?
- Have there been any difficulties/downsides with the diagnosis?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has to share, however short or long.

Thank you in advance, 

ABG

Parents
  • I don't see it as a label, but a way to explain how my brain is wired. I have used what I've learned to inform my mental health as this has been the biggest thing I've struggled with. As a "high functioning" person (masking = burnout) I needed proof to back myself up. Maybe think about what you would like to get out of it. It's hard to say how others will react but you don't have to tell anyone you don't want to.

There was always a niggle going for assessment "but what if I'm not" ...but I wanted to get to the bottom of it either way. I am happy to have done it although there's no post diagnosis help available. A private neurodivergent counsellor has been the best thing and I maybe couldve gone straight down that path however I didn't know such a thing existed until recently. It's a bit of a process you go through but I'm glad I did it.  I now have permission to be myself. Everything is a lot calmer. This is just my experience. Good luck.

• Thank you for sharing your experience. I think masking has been a theme for me too (both IRL and online, I think!). I had previously just thought it was down to me being a highly sensitive (HSP)/empathic person. 

Nice to hear about the support you've gotten with your counsellor, and that you're feeling calmer and more content it sounds like. I've recently started seeing one, and I'm thinking the support could be helpful following the assessment, whatever the outcome. 

• Thank you for sharing your experience. I think masking has been a theme for me too (both IRL and online, I think!). I had previously just thought it was down to me being a highly sensitive (HSP)/empathic person. 

Nice to hear about the support you've gotten with your counsellor, and that you're feeling calmer and more content it sounds like. I've recently started seeing one, and I'm thinking the support could be helpful following the assessment, whatever the outcome. 

Children
No Data