Weighing up whether to get assessed or not.

Hello, 

I've joined in recent days and haven't yet formally introduced myself so thought I'd do so. I'm a 30-something guy from just outside of London and, after for a few months suspected I might have ADHD, it's recently come to my awareness that I might well have autism with possibly ADHD too. There are lots of mixed emotions and thoughts rolling around my head, as I understand is quite common for those who've recently had a sort of revelation / are in the "limbo" period of getting formally assessed. I live with my parents and I've gradually had the courage to share my suspicions with them, too, and they've been as supportive as they can be and supporting my choice to get privately assessed if I want to. 

After some hesitation, I decided last week to pay the deposit on getting assessed for an upcoming date in about a month.

I’ve found myself wondering things like “How will I cope with the diagnosis/label of autism?”; “Who am I supposed to tell?”; “How would friends/a partner react”?

It all feels a bit overwhelming at this moment in time. For those of you who have received a diagnosis:

- Were you happy to have pursued & received your autism diagnosis?
- Have there been any difficulties/downsides with the diagnosis?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has to share, however short or long.

Thank you in advance, 

ABG

Parents
  • Hello ABG,

I'm interested to know why you want a diagnosis. Are you looking for a confirmation of autism? I'm not asking these questions to be difficult or anything. It's just that many people align with autistic traits and seek diagnosis to affirm their beliefs. This isn't really what a psychologist does. What they will do is assess your responses to certain questions perhaps include some exercises to examine your thinking etc. They might decide you are not autistic or you don't have ADHD or they might conclude you have autism but not ADHD and vice versa. Have you considered this?  Getting an assessment with a trained and experienced psychologist is an insightful experience but it may not lead to the diagnosis you seek. If you do get a diagnosis, it may not be 'the answer' to everything. There's little help or support out there for adults on the spectrum and even less for those of us with ADHD as well. For some reason, people seem to think that autism (and ADHD) seem to stop needing support as soon as we hit 18. It's up to you who you tell about any diagnosis you receive. People on here are generally friendly and supportive but this is not true in the general world I've noticed so just bear that in mind.

• Hello, that's a good question. To cut a long story short, I ran an online course last year that attracted lots of "neurodivergent" folks (plenty of ADHD, but others too). That led to conversations and reflection; after think I had adhd, it now feels that I *don't* have that, not on its own anyway. I think both ADHD and autism run in the family; though also not sure if I'm seeking out the label(s). I recently was part of a course for "autistic entrepreneurs" which, again, brought up a lot that made sense. It would make lots of sense though, and I've increasingly been getting the. (I don't fit the typical "male" experience even though I'm a guy; interestingly, it's from hearing about the experience with women/girls that has spoken most to me). I've recently started seeing a therapist, and I'm hoping that any diagnosis might be useful to explore with her. 

• Hello, that's a good question. To cut a long story short, I ran an online course last year that attracted lots of "neurodivergent" folks (plenty of ADHD, but others too). That led to conversations and reflection; after think I had adhd, it now feels that I *don't* have that, not on its own anyway. I think both ADHD and autism run in the family; though also not sure if I'm seeking out the label(s). I recently was part of a course for "autistic entrepreneurs" which, again, brought up a lot that made sense. It would make lots of sense though, and I've increasingly been getting the. (I don't fit the typical "male" experience even though I'm a guy; interestingly, it's from hearing about the experience with women/girls that has spoken most to me). I've recently started seeing a therapist, and I'm hoping that any diagnosis might be useful to explore with her. 

Children
No Data