Weighing up whether to get assessed or not.

Hello, 

I've joined in recent days and haven't yet formally introduced myself so thought I'd do so. I'm a 30-something guy from just outside of London and, after for a few months suspected I might have ADHD, it's recently come to my awareness that I might well have autism with possibly ADHD too. There are lots of mixed emotions and thoughts rolling around my head, as I understand is quite common for those who've recently had a sort of revelation / are in the "limbo" period of getting formally assessed. I live with my parents and I've gradually had the courage to share my suspicions with them, too, and they've been as supportive as they can be and supporting my choice to get privately assessed if I want to. 

After some hesitation, I decided last week to pay the deposit on getting assessed for an upcoming date in about a month.

I’ve found myself wondering things like “How will I cope with the diagnosis/label of autism?”; “Who am I supposed to tell?”; “How would friends/a partner react”?

It all feels a bit overwhelming at this moment in time. For those of you who have received a diagnosis:

- Were you happy to have pursued & received your autism diagnosis?
- Have there been any difficulties/downsides with the diagnosis?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has to share, however short or long.

Thank you in advance, 

ABG

Parents
  • Good morning agb,

May I suggest that you use the search button on this forum to try and find the many, many past threads that have covered the questions that you have asked above.

This is a topic that is raised so very often - and there seems no rhyme nor reason as to whether "people" respond en mass or not.

Unfortunately, the search functionality is VERY poor and will probably require some effort to find what you are looking for......but I can assure you that there many threads there to be found that will display the mixed and varied opinions and experiences that you seek.

Kind regards

Number.

• Thank you for the heads-up; I did do a quick search and found a couple of threads with relevant/useful responses, but I'll have another look/dig. 

Reply Children
No Data