Weighing up whether to get assessed or not.

Hello, 

I've joined in recent days and haven't yet formally introduced myself so thought I'd do so. I'm a 30-something guy from just outside of London and, after for a few months suspected I might have ADHD, it's recently come to my awareness that I might well have autism with possibly ADHD too. There are lots of mixed emotions and thoughts rolling around my head, as I understand is quite common for those who've recently had a sort of revelation / are in the "limbo" period of getting formally assessed. I live with my parents and I've gradually had the courage to share my suspicions with them, too, and they've been as supportive as they can be and supporting my choice to get privately assessed if I want to. 

After some hesitation, I decided last week to pay the deposit on getting assessed for an upcoming date in about a month.

I’ve found myself wondering things like “How will I cope with the diagnosis/label of autism?”; “Who am I supposed to tell?”; “How would friends/a partner react”?

It all feels a bit overwhelming at this moment in time. For those of you who have received a diagnosis:

- Were you happy to have pursued & received your autism diagnosis?
- Have there been any difficulties/downsides with the diagnosis?

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has to share, however short or long.

Thank you in advance, 

ABG

Parents
  • I suppose you could write a pros and cons list for what you think you will get out of being assessed.

I was diagnosed autistic as a child but it never felt like the full story I never got-on-with (it was okay but we never really clicked) the other autistic kids I met at school even though I met a lot of the classic criteria to get teh diagnosis in the first place. Now I'm being sent to get assessed for ADHD because the more I have to relt on myself the more I realsie I have no internal sense of structure and it's causing issues to my executive functioning the more complex my life gets in adulthood. So Now I need the ADHD assessment as much for closure as  getting additional support.

I dunno if you can relate to that but it's what prompted me to seek it. I hope that info helps.

• I suppose you could write a pros and cons list for what you think you will get out of being assessed.

I was diagnosed autistic as a child but it never felt like the full story I never got-on-with (it was okay but we never really clicked) the other autistic kids I met at school even though I met a lot of the classic criteria to get teh diagnosis in the first place. Now I'm being sent to get assessed for ADHD because the more I have to relt on myself the more I realsie I have no internal sense of structure and it's causing issues to my executive functioning the more complex my life gets in adulthood. So Now I need the ADHD assessment as much for closure as  getting additional support.

I dunno if you can relate to that but it's what prompted me to seek it. I hope that info helps.

Children
No Data