Hi everyone

Hello, 

I’ve hummed and hawed about writing this for a while, I’m in my early 40s and recently discovered that there’s a high probability that I’m ASD. I was labelled as ADHD during primary school in the late 80s  and have always struggled socially and had an obsessive side to my personality. I’d always attributed this to my ADHD coming through to adulthood and not thought too much about it.

It wasn’t until my infant child begun to exhibit near identical traits, and a talented SENCO recommend that they be assessed. Through this assessment it became apparent that they had ASD and many of the markers he was exhibiting were things I displayed when younger or I continue to struggle with.

My child recently had their ASD diagnosis confirmed, I’ve not begun any assessment process due to the NHS wait times and prohibitive cost of private assessments and feel somewhat reluctant to do so, maybe out of fear of it becoming official or the redundant nature of it all, who knows.

So I guess this is my first step of reaching out as I’m battling with the guilt of putting this burden on my child (as I fear him sharing the schooling, professional and social difficulties I’ve experienced), and also look to find help and solace in understanding how other people have found coping mechanism with things.

Anyway hello everyone, and sorry for rambling on

Parents Reply Children
No Data