Female and diagnosed at almost 58 years old

Hi

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Level 1 autism/Asperger’s Syndrome.  My son had his diagnosis when he was a teenager and is now aged 30.

I have mixed feelings about it as it answers many questions on the difficulties I have always faced in my social interactions but I also feel hopeless and less inclined to try.

I would love to hear from other women who have had a diagnosis later in their lives and how they are coping. 

Parents
  • Hi I'm 55 and grateful to have found this thread . I'm not diagnosed but may I ask how long it took people to get diagnosed. A late friend said to me I was aspergers and I dismissed it immediately but the more they talked about it the more I said 'yes I do that' . I don't have ''friends'' as this has always been difficult. But the whole thing has made me question from childhood to adulthood and why I've always felt like an outsider. From school through to work life. I can't see me from 'over there' if I'm 'sitting here' if that makes sense? It's really made me question 'who I am' which is quite a confusing time. 

• It very much depends on where you live. It is meant to be within 3 months. At my assessment to see if I qualify for an assessment I asked how long the wait time is, and was told 4 years. I live in the NE of England. I got on the waiting list for Lorna Wing at the beginning of 2021 and will be assessed next month (paying to go private). 

Learn as much as you can about autism in women and see if things start to make sense for you. Squarepeg is an excellent podcast for women and non-binary people who identify as autistic. You get to hear perspectives and experiences from all age groups. Amy has created a lovely supportive community. I think I've learned more from listening to that than years of reading books by "experts" (my son was diagnosed 17 years ago so I've read a lot). 

• I'd be surprised if anywhere actually does it within 3 months with how badly hit NHS services have been in the last few years and the massive pile up because they stopped doing them in the covid era.

I was told it was an 18 month wait where I am because they straight up stopped doing adult ASD assessments in East London. After 6 months on the list I was told I was still 18 months away. Thankfully my Borough started doing them again and I got in there, but it was at least 10 months between my referral and the assessment (and I possibly got a little priority because I was being referred by a psychiatrist and I was/am in a mess)

• I was saying it's meant to be 3 months. Nobody is getting seen in 3 months. Even when my son was diagnosed 17 years ago it took over 6 months. 

I'm glad you got the assessment eventually.  

Reply Children
No Data