I’m wanting to befriend autistic people

I’m 35 and only found out I was autistic at 32. Was wondering if any other people were diagnosed late and feel somewhat not whole. 

Parents
  • After being diagnosed three years ago at the age of 67, I feel that I now know who I am and understand so very many of the difficulties of my past life, and as things continue to fall into place, the better I feel.

So, 'not whole' you ask.   Well, I don't think I've ever felt quite so 'whole' in my entire life as I do now, although I have a strong feeling of being cheated.. a sense of injustice...... Why didn't they tell me before? 

Ben

• I recently got diagnosed at 31 and I think I’m feeling a bit like you. It makes sense, I was mostly expecting it and once I’m past the initial processing point (was only diagnosed 2 weeks ago), I think I’ll feel really content and validated.

I am angry though and I don’t know if that will fade. I’m angry that it wasn’t identified. I’m angry that people noticed the ‘odd’ behaviours but jested about them rather than look into them.

• Lauren, thanks for your comment. The trouble is that feeling angry, as we both do, doesn't get us anywhere. We just have to accept the situation and carry on with our new enlightened life.

Onwards and upwards!

Ben

• Lauren, thanks for your comment. The trouble is that feeling angry, as we both do, doesn't get us anywhere. We just have to accept the situation and carry on with our new enlightened life.

Onwards and upwards!

Ben

Children
No Data