Realised in later life that I have, and always have had, autism.

Late 70s.  Always found social interaction disconcerting, scary, uninteresting and/or threatening.  This has made me feel guilty about it, ie there ‘has to be something wrong with me.’  Was it caused and/or aggravated by a socially abusive father or was I born with it?  I had to ‘go into myself’  in order to survive and feel secure.  As a result I have developed considerable inner strength, enjoy my own company, am happy in my own skin and live what I consider to be a full satisfying lifestyle.  Just occasionally however I wonder if I haven’t missed out on something in life and if so what.

Parents
  • My acceptance of my Autism came after I retired from a long and successful career. In retrospect I realise that it was my Autism which made me successful. The only real downside is I found it difficult working for bosses who I did not respect as I respected the person not their position. However, I did get respect from bosses I respected and since they were the ones who were good at what they did, I eventually ended up working for some really good bosses. Before I accepted my Autism,  I was treated for both depression and PTSD. I  doubt I really had either. In the end, what has happened, happened. Would life have been different if I had accepted my Autism earlier? I will never know. It might have given me excuses for not trying to achieve things. Life happened. 

• My acceptance of my Autism came after I retired from a long and successful career. In retrospect I realise that it was my Autism which made me successful. The only real downside is I found it difficult working for bosses who I did not respect as I respected the person not their position. However, I did get respect from bosses I respected and since they were the ones who were good at what they did, I eventually ended up working for some really good bosses. Before I accepted my Autism,  I was treated for both depression and PTSD. I  doubt I really had either. In the end, what has happened, happened. Would life have been different if I had accepted my Autism earlier? I will never know. It might have given me excuses for not trying to achieve things. Life happened. 

Children
No Data