The Journey of I, Dream, the man...

Content Removed By: Author

Parents
  • Dream said:

OK where is the underline one!

Erm... Is it this one?

Hahaha, nope, looks like the technical chaps have added strikethrough instead of underline! Just looking at WordPress, it appears underline uses a differrent sort of code than bold, italic and strikethrough (I've never understood why anyone would want to use strikethrough, why not just delete the words?!?).

Bold is <strong>, Italic is <em> and strikethrough is <del>. However Underline uses <span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span>.

Maybe this sort of coding is more difficult to implement, but at least we have italic now Smile

[/quote]

The difference is that <em> and <strong> give information to (for example) screen-readers for blind and partially-sighted users, changing the way they speak. There's no consensus about how underlined text should sound, and underlining except for links has never been very popular among web designers. We used to use <b> for bold, <i> for italic, <u> for underline and <s> for strikethrough, but those have been phased out because they provide no accessibility information. Wordpress' use of <span> for underlining isn't the only approach - techniques like that vary from site to site.

The standard accessibility guidelines for websites also require that (to help colour-blind people) we should never use only colour to distinguish meanings, so we can't rely on the difference between black and blue text to indicate links.

Alex R - mod

• Dream said:

OK where is the underline one!

Erm... Is it this one?

Hahaha, nope, looks like the technical chaps have added strikethrough instead of underline! Just looking at WordPress, it appears underline uses a differrent sort of code than bold, italic and strikethrough (I've never understood why anyone would want to use strikethrough, why not just delete the words?!?).

Bold is <strong>, Italic is <em> and strikethrough is <del>. However Underline uses <span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span>.

Maybe this sort of coding is more difficult to implement, but at least we have italic now Smile

[/quote]

The difference is that <em> and <strong> give information to (for example) screen-readers for blind and partially-sighted users, changing the way they speak. There's no consensus about how underlined text should sound, and underlining except for links has never been very popular among web designers. We used to use <b> for bold, <i> for italic, <u> for underline and <s> for strikethrough, but those have been phased out because they provide no accessibility information. Wordpress' use of <span> for underlining isn't the only approach - techniques like that vary from site to site.

The standard accessibility guidelines for websites also require that (to help colour-blind people) we should never use only colour to distinguish meanings, so we can't rely on the difference between black and blue text to indicate links.

Alex R - mod

Children
No Data