The Journey of I, Dream, the man...

Content Removed By: Author

Parents
  • @Longman, I sooo know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable about flattery. It is embarrassing, and I think it's because we do a task, we do it well and for us that is the logical way to do it ("never do things by halves" as they say) and therefore it is strange to us when people ooh and ahh about how wonderfully you did the task. (for instance).

I think most of us hate being the centre of attention (heaven knows how you got through being a lecturer, although I imagine you focused not on standing up there with a sea of student faces staring expectantly at you, but perhaps as a sort of ongoing monologue about your special interest? Laughing)

Talking of councils (both), they make me so mad.  You know what our council did (and I know why)?  They sent workmen to drill a hole in the concrete outside our property (on the driveway bit that crosses the grass verge) and shortly after, without any work having gone on in said hole, sent workmen back to fill it.  This was done at intermittent stages along our road.  It was just before the new tax year.  So this is why I knew why they did it.  They wanted to ensure they used funding so they'd get at least the same amount again for the next tax year.  It's disgusting.  How are they not embarrassed, and how do they think people will not notice, do they really think we are such plebians!

• @Longman, I sooo know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable about flattery. It is embarrassing, and I think it's because we do a task, we do it well and for us that is the logical way to do it ("never do things by halves" as they say) and therefore it is strange to us when people ooh and ahh about how wonderfully you did the task. (for instance).

I think most of us hate being the centre of attention (heaven knows how you got through being a lecturer, although I imagine you focused not on standing up there with a sea of student faces staring expectantly at you, but perhaps as a sort of ongoing monologue about your special interest? Laughing)

Talking of councils (both), they make me so mad.  You know what our council did (and I know why)?  They sent workmen to drill a hole in the concrete outside our property (on the driveway bit that crosses the grass verge) and shortly after, without any work having gone on in said hole, sent workmen back to fill it.  This was done at intermittent stages along our road.  It was just before the new tax year.  So this is why I knew why they did it.  They wanted to ensure they used funding so they'd get at least the same amount again for the next tax year.  It's disgusting.  How are they not embarrassed, and how do they think people will not notice, do they really think we are such plebians!

Children
No Data