Hello

Introduce yourself they said - so here I am! It took me far too long to decide on a subject but I guess Hello works.

So. Hello! Let me introduce myself. I'm a 62 year old mum and nana and I'm recently self diagnosed. Quite a number of years ago my younger (50 something year old) sister was diagnosed with autism. I remember laughing at that time and saying if she's on the spectrum then I absolutely must be but gave it no more thought.

Fast forward to now.

My adult daughter got her official autism diagnosis within the last year and since then we've spoken at great length about what her autism looks like and how it effects her. Lots of things she described really resonated with me  so when she sent me some links to self tests I took them and was interested and a little bit stunned (but honestly not too surprised at this point) to find that I appear to be autistic too - however - the more I read the more I understand why I am how I am and it's such a relief to have a better level of understanding.

Suddenly - recalling how my father in law would say I could be rather blunt (even after I'd filtered what I was going to say to be less blunt) made sense. My life long struggle to make and keep friends makes sense. I used to think that my lack of empathy regarding some situations must mean that I'm a heinous person but now that makes sense too. 

It's taken me so much courage to join this forum and post this because people I know have recently said to me (when I've explained that I've recently concluded that I'm autistic) 

"Ah but we're all a "little bit autistic" aren't we"? 

And also 

"Nah you're not autistic. You're so friendly and outgoing. Such a people person" 

This has been incredibly unhelpful to me. 

So that's me. I'm on the cusp of believing my self diagnosis is valid and I'm not convinced that an official diagnosis will be worth pursuing but I may change my mind about that one day. 

I expect I will lurk around the forums and not have a deal to say but it is a relief to be able to put my thoughts about who I am here in black and white.

Thank you for reading. 

Parents
  • Hello Inula and welcome, nice to have you with us

Relief was the overriding feeling for me also. After 35 years I am no longer searching for what's up with me and can accept myself and why i'm different 

Well done for posting, it's not easy for a lot of people at first. There are lots of good souls on this forum though who are very understanding and supportive. Hope you find it as beneficial as i have 

• Hello Inula and welcome, nice to have you with us

Relief was the overriding feeling for me also. After 35 years I am no longer searching for what's up with me and can accept myself and why i'm different 

Well done for posting, it's not easy for a lot of people at first. There are lots of good souls on this forum though who are very understanding and supportive. Hope you find it as beneficial as i have 

Children
No Data