Hello

Hi everyone.

My name is Angela. I am 45 and have been married for 25 years with 4 children aged between 13 and 24.  Just recently diagnosed myself as having autism and really struggling to come to terms with it and how it impacts my life. Although it does make sense of everything now I am finding it difficult to accept myself and see how I can live a happy and fulfilling life.  

I would be extremely grateful for any advice from anyone please or just to know that there is someone else out there. 

Parents
  • Hi Angela, I had the same route of self identifying about 18 months ago, I always knew I was different and have had mental health problems since I was a child, just never knew why?

I’ve been married for 32 years, yes autistic people do get married, I have two boys, both adults now.

Autism hit me like a hammer, I struggled with all the why’s and wherefores, I thought I was of reasonable intelligence but I missed this for 54 years? Don’t try to process it all too quickly, it’s too much to comprehend. It has changed my life but only for the better. If you want want to ask any questions, there are a lot of nice people here. I’m still trying to  process my life, I started with my childhood and how different I was. It’s like putting a jigsaw together that you have always had but never knew how it fitted together.

Good luck, if you have any questions about the route to diagnosis, please ask. Many are happy to self diagnose.

• Hi Angela, I had the same route of self identifying about 18 months ago, I always knew I was different and have had mental health problems since I was a child, just never knew why?

I’ve been married for 32 years, yes autistic people do get married, I have two boys, both adults now.

Autism hit me like a hammer, I struggled with all the why’s and wherefores, I thought I was of reasonable intelligence but I missed this for 54 years? Don’t try to process it all too quickly, it’s too much to comprehend. It has changed my life but only for the better. If you want want to ask any questions, there are a lot of nice people here. I’m still trying to  process my life, I started with my childhood and how different I was. It’s like putting a jigsaw together that you have always had but never knew how it fitted together.

Good luck, if you have any questions about the route to diagnosis, please ask. Many are happy to self diagnose.

Children
No Data