Getting diagnosed without parents knowing

Hi I’m Sophia I’m 16 years old I’ve have been doing a bunch of research on autism and thing about me make a lot of sense now. But I don’t know how to get a professional diagnosis with out my mom or dad know. When I bring up this type of thing to my parents they just brush it off but if I do have this I want the help that I can get because it has been so hard for me.

• At 16 I should think you are old enough to do this without parental permission, but I am no expert, so that might not be the case. But you could ask your GP, and ask them not to inform your parents. That would be your obvious first step, but the process can take 3 years or even more in some areas. If you have a few hundred pounds you could go private, the one I am about to use is about 300ish for the pre-assessment (depending how long it takes) and the wait time is only a few weeks.

PS you shouldn't use your full real name on here, so if that's your real name you should change, if it's an alias you're fine!

• Hello Sophia! 

I'm here to help. I understand that it can be difficult to get a professional diagnosis for autism without your parents' knowledge or support. However, it's important to note that getting a diagnosis and receiving appropriate support can be incredibly beneficial for your well-being and future success.

Here are a few options you could consider:

Talk to a school counselor or teacher: If you feel comfortable, you could talk to a school counselor or teacher and explain your concerns. They may be able to provide you with resources or guidance on how to seek a diagnosis without involving your parents.

Seek out a community organization: There may be community organizations or support groups in your area that specialize in autism. These groups may be able to provide you with resources, support, and guidance on how to get a diagnosis without your parents' knowledge.

Consult a telehealth service: Some telehealth services offer online consultations with licensed healthcare professionals, and you may be able to receive a diagnosis through one of these services. This would allow you to get a diagnosis without having to involve your parents, but you may need to pay for the consultation.

It's important to remember that seeking a diagnosis can be a complex process, and it's important to have the support of a healthcare professional throughout the process. If you're struggling to get support from your parents, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, such as a teacher or family member, for additional guidance and support.