New here, help needed.

I could do with some advice please. I have recently been diagnosed, I'm 43. Since my diagnosis I have told virtually no one. I didn't have friends anyway but now find myself reluctant to even to talk to anyone at all, even just a  conversation. How do I get myself out of this, I am feeling isolated, lonely and have realised that I actually don't have any friends at all I am scared if people know my diagnosis they will just be polite and 'friendly' because of it. I know a couple of people have done that to other autistic people I'm aware of. Sorry for the long post. 

Parents
  • Hello, thank you for sharing your post. I can understand how you feel, especially the bit about people being "friendly" just because they know. I am always afraid of this. I want to be treated the same as everyone else, not as a charity case so I identify with how you feel.

Hanging around here, making some posts and commenting on some conversations. Thats how I made friends on here and found somewhere I felt finally at home. Also it might be worth checking if there are any autism support groups in your area, I found one near me and I go once a month, it really helps

As far as NT people go, not everyone will understand but I can honestly say that more often than not I have been surprised at the positivity people have shown towards me and more often than not it has not changed how they treated me.

There is always hope 

• Hello, thank you for sharing your post. I can understand how you feel, especially the bit about people being "friendly" just because they know. I am always afraid of this. I want to be treated the same as everyone else, not as a charity case so I identify with how you feel.

Hanging around here, making some posts and commenting on some conversations. Thats how I made friends on here and found somewhere I felt finally at home. Also it might be worth checking if there are any autism support groups in your area, I found one near me and I go once a month, it really helps

As far as NT people go, not everyone will understand but I can honestly say that more often than not I have been surprised at the positivity people have shown towards me and more often than not it has not changed how they treated me.

There is always hope 

Children
No Data