My son and i

Hey :) 

My son who is 11 was diagnosed with ASD about 3 weeks ago, we have been waiting for this for 9 years its been such a long journey. 

the struggle i am facing is telling my son about his diagnosis, he have heard medical professional, family interventions teams, teachers, doctors pointed toward ADHD and my son have fixed on that now after my self and his father explained it may not be that etc and we need to wait  whilst the ND team done their thing. Anyways for him to get support ready and the ball rolling for when he goes to year 7 comprehensive school we need to tell him about his diagnosis.

my question is, how did you tell your children or family member who had their diagnosis?

thanks in advance. x

Parents Reply Children
  • Yeah we went from pilla to post honestly, it's been such a tiring thing for myself and him and his poor brother who's is 9 he gets the brunt of his frustrations and he doesn't understand why so sooner can sit them down the better. Yeah you worry and only want the best for them don't you I hope you are able to get the early support for him! You seem to he doing very well I'm neurotypical and I didnt pass my gcse. You're doing amazing. We had a cpc/idp meeting this week with head pysc and the secondary schools ALNco, his 1:1 support and class teacher, I'm unsure if when on the EHCP, I'll ask them tomorrow about that.  we submitted to the transition panel in October and their still deciding so we don't even know what his placement for secondery school is looking like atm. They are trying to decided if he need to go into the ssrb unit of the school or mainstream it depends if his needs are complex enough. I've been chasing them for weeks on it. Everything have been such a task lately. Will all be worth it, this diagnosis is life changing not defying..xx

• Oh goodness gracious, it really sounds like you got sent around the houses so to speak. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I'm a parent myself now so just got my 10 yr old put forward to hopefully be seen by someone. I must admit I am concerned (I want him to get support) but also as he's a "chip off the old block" so not too worried, if I can succeed academically then he probably can too. But really I do want early support for him if possible because I had to redo GCSEs in my late 20s (in uni as a mature student now, and surprisingly it's not the autism that is giving me grief with this BA but the ADHD in combo, so now I need to get another diagnosis later in life.) Apologies, I am waffling a bit, but I think getting your son diagnosed now is a great step, and the sooner you can get an EHCP in place for secondary and beyond will be fantastic.