Why get diagnosed?

Hi All

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question. 

I have been considering seeking a diagnosis for autism for some time. In the past, friends and relatives have joked that I am autistic, and from looking into it myself, I accept that I probably do exhibit many of the traits.

I don’t feel I struggle enough in life that I need to be diagnosed, however this may be because I just don’t know life in any other way.

It would be useful to hear from those who have been diagnosed, what the practical benefits are of being diagnosed. How would it make my life better by knowing for sure? Likewise, what are the drawbacks of knowing?

Thank you

Parents
  • Hi Aromere,

I could have written this post myself alittle while ago..

Here is where I ended up.

I wanted an official diagnosis for closure and for validation or confirmation because certain behaviours are common or typical for AS and the way you are structured would explain it, but if you are an NT then these behaviours might be a result of something that you need to drill down into and explore, maybe even work on or watch out for etc.

There is no drawback I can think of to an official diagnosis unless you feel that "you can't handle the truth" whatever that may be, right?

However, (and this is important!), Getting diagnosed doesn't equal declaring it to the world, this is a secondary step you must consider carefully because once they know, they can't unknow!

But sharing that information can only happen after a diagnosis.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck on deciding, but please share your decision and your train of thought making it.. I am very curious.

Thanks

• Hi Aromere,

I could have written this post myself alittle while ago..

Here is where I ended up.

I wanted an official diagnosis for closure and for validation or confirmation because certain behaviours are common or typical for AS and the way you are structured would explain it, but if you are an NT then these behaviours might be a result of something that you need to drill down into and explore, maybe even work on or watch out for etc.

There is no drawback I can think of to an official diagnosis unless you feel that "you can't handle the truth" whatever that may be, right?

However, (and this is important!), Getting diagnosed doesn't equal declaring it to the world, this is a secondary step you must consider carefully because once they know, they can't unknow!

But sharing that information can only happen after a diagnosis.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck on deciding, but please share your decision and your train of thought making it.. I am very curious.

Thanks

Children
No Data