Why get diagnosed?

Hi All

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question. 

I have been considering seeking a diagnosis for autism for some time. In the past, friends and relatives have joked that I am autistic, and from looking into it myself, I accept that I probably do exhibit many of the traits.

I don’t feel I struggle enough in life that I need to be diagnosed, however this may be because I just don’t know life in any other way.

It would be useful to hear from those who have been diagnosed, what the practical benefits are of being diagnosed. How would it make my life better by knowing for sure? Likewise, what are the drawbacks of knowing?

Thank you

Parents
  • I don’t think you need to struggle to warrant a diagnosis. My life has always been more difficult than others, and I’ve never felt like I fit in. The older I got, and whatever I did to improve and work on myself, nothing changed. As I got my 40’s I adopted a don’t give a sh*t approach, and tried to just push through things. However, when I had my thunderbolt moment, and subsequently decided to go for assessment, it was because I ‘needed’ to know. I was sick of wondering about it. I need to know so I could start to find out who I was, because I thought I knew. Obviously not. I had my own personality, but what was me, and what ASD? 
    Because I have the diagnosis, I can ask for adjustments at work. I’m ok, but things change all the time and I might need to get some small changes put in place. Especially if I apply for a new job.

On the outside, I have been married, I’ve had children, I drive, I’ve had many good friends in the past, I spent years nightclubbing, I work in customer service, I have been self employed for many years successfully in the past, I hold down a job, I’m intelligent, eloquent and very capable, very creative, and I can turn my hand to anything.  On the other side of that I can be anxious, I have been depressed throughout my life, I’m a perfectionist, I hate social situations, and leaving my comfort zone, my home. I get tired, I mask, and I’ll have meltdowns or shutdowns if I don’t give myself lots of down time. 
    My diagnosis had no negatives. I would say it was the best thing I’ve actually done for myself.

• Thank you for your thoughts. 

Your comment about needing to know what was you and what was ASD really resonates with me. 

May I ask what kind of adjustments at work there are available? 

• They would be based on your own needs. For me, I might ask for my shifts to be in a block, or for somewhere quiet to sit as lunch if I was to work a whole day overtime. I can ask not to work on certain areas if they cause me any distress (too many people, or a need to be excessively social for example). There are many possibilities, and as long as you are still doing the job you’re contracted to do, there’s no harm done. 
    If I was in an office, I might request not to be seated in the middle of the room, or not to have to change desks for example. If I was light sensitive, I could ask for different lighting at my desk for example. 

• They would be based on your own needs. For me, I might ask for my shifts to be in a block, or for somewhere quiet to sit as lunch if I was to work a whole day overtime. I can ask not to work on certain areas if they cause me any distress (too many people, or a need to be excessively social for example). There are many possibilities, and as long as you are still doing the job you’re contracted to do, there’s no harm done. 
    If I was in an office, I might request not to be seated in the middle of the room, or not to have to change desks for example. If I was light sensitive, I could ask for different lighting at my desk for example. 

Children
No Data