Why get diagnosed?

Hi All

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question. 

I have been considering seeking a diagnosis for autism for some time. In the past, friends and relatives have joked that I am autistic, and from looking into it myself, I accept that I probably do exhibit many of the traits.

I don’t feel I struggle enough in life that I need to be diagnosed, however this may be because I just don’t know life in any other way.

It would be useful to hear from those who have been diagnosed, what the practical benefits are of being diagnosed. How would it make my life better by knowing for sure? Likewise, what are the drawbacks of knowing?

Thank you

Parents
  • Hi Aromere, I have very recently been diagnosed. I don't know if it is relevant but I am 60 years of age. The reason I share this is  I am not sure if my reaction to my diagnosis is age related. Whilst waiting for a diagnosis I honestly wasn't bothered what the result would be. After all what difference would it make to me. I was being supported by psychological services for long standing mental health problems. I was slowly getting better I felt. Receiving the diagnosis that I am autistic is the worse thing that happened to me. I wish I had never gone for the test. I have been discharged by the MH team as my issues are to do with autism. Although diagnosed I have not been told how they reached that conclusion. The report states I may experience this or I might experience that. I don't know what I can associate to long term mental health or which bit are caused by autism. I don't know if mental health issues are a misdiagnosis. I am lost. I don't who or what I am. I am once again becoming increasingly low. Mental health team clearly won't help and no support for adult autistics. I have been patroniisingly told at that the autism diagnosis will explain 'things'. I'm afraid it doesn't. For example do I have social anxiety or is it an autistic trait, or a combination of the two, if an autistic trait does that cause the social anxiety. Will the therapy I have practised over several years still work or is it pointless because there is little I can do because I'm autistic. I feel this might not be a common view but it is mine. My point is that there may be a 'dark side'. Hopefully you won't experience this but please be aware it might be there. 

• Hi Aromere, I have very recently been diagnosed. I don't know if it is relevant but I am 60 years of age. The reason I share this is  I am not sure if my reaction to my diagnosis is age related. Whilst waiting for a diagnosis I honestly wasn't bothered what the result would be. After all what difference would it make to me. I was being supported by psychological services for long standing mental health problems. I was slowly getting better I felt. Receiving the diagnosis that I am autistic is the worse thing that happened to me. I wish I had never gone for the test. I have been discharged by the MH team as my issues are to do with autism. Although diagnosed I have not been told how they reached that conclusion. The report states I may experience this or I might experience that. I don't know what I can associate to long term mental health or which bit are caused by autism. I don't know if mental health issues are a misdiagnosis. I am lost. I don't who or what I am. I am once again becoming increasingly low. Mental health team clearly won't help and no support for adult autistics. I have been patroniisingly told at that the autism diagnosis will explain 'things'. I'm afraid it doesn't. For example do I have social anxiety or is it an autistic trait, or a combination of the two, if an autistic trait does that cause the social anxiety. Will the therapy I have practised over several years still work or is it pointless because there is little I can do because I'm autistic. I feel this might not be a common view but it is mine. My point is that there may be a 'dark side'. Hopefully you won't experience this but please be aware it might be there. 

Children
No Data