Why get diagnosed?

Hi All

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this question. 

I have been considering seeking a diagnosis for autism for some time. In the past, friends and relatives have joked that I am autistic, and from looking into it myself, I accept that I probably do exhibit many of the traits.

I don’t feel I struggle enough in life that I need to be diagnosed, however this may be because I just don’t know life in any other way.

It would be useful to hear from those who have been diagnosed, what the practical benefits are of being diagnosed. How would it make my life better by knowing for sure? Likewise, what are the drawbacks of knowing?

Thank you

Parents
  • From a personal pov being diagnosed is incredibly useful. Firstly I don’t do self diagnosis so the official assessment gave a sort of green light to genuinely investigate autism. Secondly the official report came with a tailored set of recommended reasonable adjustments which are taken seriously in a way self diagnosis isn’t, so an immediate and really life important consequence is that communication with my gp surgery has improved out of all recognition. Their comms are designed entirely for NT people and were so inpenetrable to me that I hadn’t attended the practice for a long time, armed with the official documents I physically went there and spoke to the admin manager who fixed my problems very quickly and has set up comms channels tailored to my autistic needs. This is hugely important as at last Im getting the consultations and investigations I need and which might yet secure intervention for a life threatening condition. 

• Thank you for your comprehensive reply, it is appreciated.

I have my doubts whether I am autistic as I suppose I am high functioning, work in finance and manage people, have children and a partner. 

However I have cut myself off from my family for over 10 years (apart from my parents), and I have little interest in making new friends, mainly because I don’t see the point and get bored of small talk. I have no hesitation in cutting people out of my life if they “wrong” me and I’m incredibly black and white about this. I suppose this is the area I would like to explore further to see if there is a reason I am like this. 

I completed an autism questionnaire I found on someone’s post on here and I scored 33 which suggests I may be autistic.

My main concern is getting a diagnosis may open up a can of worms for me personally, and I’m not sure how I would benefit overall. 

• Hi,

I might not be the best person to advise as I’m also not diagnosed but I thought I’d share my view for what it’s worth  

Your story sounds familiar, especially some of the social aspects. I am currently seeking assessment in the hope that it helps me to understand why I struggle in life, mainly with dreadful anxiety. So I would say that if you have any difficulties in your life or even if you just feel like you could be happier, then it might help.

I definitely understand the can of worms issue as that’s where I am right now. Dealing with these things can take a toll but I’m hoping it’s worth it in the long run. 

I’m also managing to hold down a fairly responsible job, a family and all that stuff but for me it’s at the expense of my own mental well-being. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jay

• Thanks Jay for your thoughts on this.

I completely understand that if you’re struggling with things in life, then seeking a diagnosis is the right thing to do.

I’m starting to realise that perhaps the reason I don’t think I struggle as much is because I engineer things to not put myself in situations which could cause me to struggle.

Wish you all the best in getting your diagnosis.

• Thanks Jay for your thoughts on this.

I completely understand that if you’re struggling with things in life, then seeking a diagnosis is the right thing to do.

I’m starting to realise that perhaps the reason I don’t think I struggle as much is because I engineer things to not put myself in situations which could cause me to struggle.

Wish you all the best in getting your diagnosis.

Children
No Data