Feeling lost with my 14 year old daughter

She says we are too different seems she doesn’t like me or her dad says he doesn’t talk to her enough and I’m too much.

Gets mad at me all the time for trying to chat w her and stays in her room. I’m constantly trying not to upset her and crying secretly because I feel helpless.

any advice ? She was recently diagnosed & is starting therapy I think will as well.

Parents
  • It may be that she needs some quiet alone time to recover from the overwhelming school environment. Autistic people of all ages tend to need a lot of alone time and may shut down or find verbal communication too demanding.

I used to spend most of my time alone in my room when I was your daughters age. Even now I can get annoyed at my mum for trying to talk to me when I need quiet. It doesn't mean I don't love her dearly.

I would agree with giving your daughter some space and respect her wishes if she does not want to chat. Make it clear that she can come and chat to you anytime about anything she wants to. 

• It may be that she needs some quiet alone time to recover from the overwhelming school environment. Autistic people of all ages tend to need a lot of alone time and may shut down or find verbal communication too demanding.

I used to spend most of my time alone in my room when I was your daughters age. Even now I can get annoyed at my mum for trying to talk to me when I need quiet. It doesn't mean I don't love her dearly.

I would agree with giving your daughter some space and respect her wishes if she does not want to chat. Make it clear that she can come and chat to you anytime about anything she wants to. 

Children
No Data