Hello - Looking For Help Please

Diagnosed ASD in 2019.

Had zero help or support.

No local support groups available.

Struggling desperately with outside/external noise.

Stuck in house.

Having to use earplugs + noise-cancelling headphones at same time, pretty much all the time.

Does anyone else have any advice, please?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the community.

Your post sounds like the story of my life. I considered replying last night but figured I didn't have much useful advice, as I'm struggling with the same things.

I'm sorry to hear you're living with so much noise. It's tough. I find the more I am exposed to the noise the worse my emotional reaction gets. 

I have experimented with various solutions, including yours of wearing earplugs and noise cancelling headphones together. However I hate wearing them, as they amplify my internal noise which leads to a different kind of sensory overload.

The only other thing I can suggest is distraction. The more you focus on noise the more bothersome it becomes.

I hope someone will be along soon with some useful advice. This place is good in the absence of any local support groups.

• Hello and welcome to the community.

Your post sounds like the story of my life. I considered replying last night but figured I didn't have much useful advice, as I'm struggling with the same things.

I'm sorry to hear you're living with so much noise. It's tough. I find the more I am exposed to the noise the worse my emotional reaction gets. 

I have experimented with various solutions, including yours of wearing earplugs and noise cancelling headphones together. However I hate wearing them, as they amplify my internal noise which leads to a different kind of sensory overload.

The only other thing I can suggest is distraction. The more you focus on noise the more bothersome it becomes.

I hope someone will be along soon with some useful advice. This place is good in the absence of any local support groups.

Children