Newly diagnosed at 37 - imposter syndrome

Hi all,

So on Monday this week I was given the news that I “satisfy the criteria for a diagnosis of ASD”. I’ve always felt “on the outside” in life, and took the decision to look into a diagnosis last year after becoming so overwhelmed at a family wedding that I felt like I needed to run out of the building. 

I spoke with my GP, who was really understanding. I completed an AQ50 test and on the GP’s advice went through the Right to Choose ASD process with Psychiatry UK. I was sent some forms to complete, and then had a few months to wait before my assessment appointment. 

By the time my appointment came around, I was feeling in a much better place than when I first started seeking a diagnosis. I’d basically convinced myself that I would just be wasting the psychiatrist’s time, and would be sent away with my tail between my legs for wasting their time. 

So I was pretty taken aback when I got the news that I did in fact meet the criteria.

It’s been a bit of a mad week since the diagnosis. I’ve alternated between feeling like I’m imagining things and they’ve got it wrong, and re-examining my entire life through this whole new lens.

I’m just curious as to whether this is a common reaction amongst the recently diagnosed or not?

Parents Reply Children
No Data