Newly diagnosed at 37 - imposter syndrome

Hi all,

So on Monday this week I was given the news that I “satisfy the criteria for a diagnosis of ASD”. I’ve always felt “on the outside” in life, and took the decision to look into a diagnosis last year after becoming so overwhelmed at a family wedding that I felt like I needed to run out of the building. 

I spoke with my GP, who was really understanding. I completed an AQ50 test and on the GP’s advice went through the Right to Choose ASD process with Psychiatry UK. I was sent some forms to complete, and then had a few months to wait before my assessment appointment. 

By the time my appointment came around, I was feeling in a much better place than when I first started seeking a diagnosis. I’d basically convinced myself that I would just be wasting the psychiatrist’s time, and would be sent away with my tail between my legs for wasting their time. 

So I was pretty taken aback when I got the news that I did in fact meet the criteria.

It’s been a bit of a mad week since the diagnosis. I’ve alternated between feeling like I’m imagining things and they’ve got it wrong, and re-examining my entire life through this whole new lens.

I’m just curious as to whether this is a common reaction amongst the recently diagnosed or not?

Parents
  • I was diagnosed nearly 6 months ago, I felt I must be wasting everyones time pre-diagnosis and when it was confirmed I replayed my entire life in my mind. A whole host of emotions and not knowing what to do. The hardest one was denial. I had lived a life trying so hard to “fit in”.

Be gentle with yourself, you can’t change the past, this is like getting to know yourself all over again. Take time out when you need to, prioritise yourself and do what makes you feel happy. X

• I was diagnosed nearly 6 months ago, I felt I must be wasting everyones time pre-diagnosis and when it was confirmed I replayed my entire life in my mind. A whole host of emotions and not knowing what to do. The hardest one was denial. I had lived a life trying so hard to “fit in”.

Be gentle with yourself, you can’t change the past, this is like getting to know yourself all over again. Take time out when you need to, prioritise yourself and do what makes you feel happy. X

Children
No Data