Help in the Workplace

Hi,

I am new to the group and need some advice. 

My son was diagnosed  with Selective Mutism at the age of 14 yrs.

He struggled throughout his school years and bullied by his teachers.

He has been working 8 hrs a week in one of the major supermarkets for the last 5 years; but struggles. 

After been bullied and humiliated by Manager's 18months ago and been off work for 6 months with work relative stress. I organised a meeting whereby a plan was put in to place so he felt he could go back and feel comfortable. 

Unfortunately, the plan is no longer been initiated by the Supermarket therefore causing my son to be withdrawn and unable to go in to do his job.

I have arranged another meeting with his Managers on Thursday to discuss the problems. 

I need your advice as my son struggles talking to customers, but enjoys filling shelves and rumbling. 

What should I say to get my son back to work and happy?

Many thanks for reading my post .

Parents
  • If he is over 18 (assuming so if working for 5 years) could he do a night shift with fewer/ no customers (depending on the supermarkets opening hours.) I work in a supermarket doing an evening into night shift and have selective mutism. For the most part it doesn’t matter when I can’t talk. I find it ok to talk very basic stuff to customers. It’s other members of staff that I struggle to talk to but a few people know this and help.  And there are people I am able to talk to. So maybe he needs a few trusted colleagues who can be understanding. Unfortunately my selective mutism was made worse recently by two colleagues that I trusted. So it’s very hard to find the right people.

I would say though supermarkets aren’t very autism or anxiety friendly places to work for. I mask my autism at work and it’s exhausting. Maybe look for a job that isn’t so customer focused.

• If he is over 18 (assuming so if working for 5 years) could he do a night shift with fewer/ no customers (depending on the supermarkets opening hours.) I work in a supermarket doing an evening into night shift and have selective mutism. For the most part it doesn’t matter when I can’t talk. I find it ok to talk very basic stuff to customers. It’s other members of staff that I struggle to talk to but a few people know this and help.  And there are people I am able to talk to. So maybe he needs a few trusted colleagues who can be understanding. Unfortunately my selective mutism was made worse recently by two colleagues that I trusted. So it’s very hard to find the right people.

I would say though supermarkets aren’t very autism or anxiety friendly places to work for. I mask my autism at work and it’s exhausting. Maybe look for a job that isn’t so customer focused.

Children
  • Thank you for your message and I totally relate to it.

My son is 23 years his dad died five years ago from cancer which was horrendous. So I find it difficult to know what's best for him.

I like your ideas and will put it to him.

I have requested a meeting with his Managers for next Thursday. 

Wish me luck