Considering requesting diagnosis at age almost 50

I don't know at this point if I have autism. Friends have suggested I may have. Some of the traits relating to autism seem to fit me whilst others do not. I can relate to difficulties in forming friendships and relationships, to experiences of sensory overload and to anxiety, particularly in social situations. I am less sure when it comes to whether I require routine - although my current situation is that I care for 9 cats, so that my life revolves around their routines. I have mostly been fully employed since 18 years old, though my CV job history is lengthy and does not demonstrate a clear cut career path, really only indicating my tenacity. I don't have a special subject I'm passionate about: my only study is of the cats (who are mostly unrelated to one another) co-operating and resolving their differences as a group.

Parents
  • Hi, autistic people don’t all tick the same boxes, the spectrum is huge, we are all uniquely different. I’m 55 and going through assessment at the moment. A lot of people are happy to self identify as autistic and don’t feel the need to go through an assessment. Have a look online and do an AQ50 test or Raads-r  test. They will give an indication of autism. I think there is a link through NAS. I look at it all more of a marathon, definitely not a sprint.

• Hi, autistic people don’t all tick the same boxes, the spectrum is huge, we are all uniquely different. I’m 55 and going through assessment at the moment. A lot of people are happy to self identify as autistic and don’t feel the need to go through an assessment. Have a look online and do an AQ50 test or Raads-r  test. They will give an indication of autism. I think there is a link through NAS. I look at it all more of a marathon, definitely not a sprint.

Children
No Data